Newcomer

watch.spectrum.net freezes causing entire PC to lock up

My PC is running Windows 7 Professional and I am on the latest version of Chrome.  It is a 2-year-old PC with 16GB of memory and 4GB video memory.

For the last two weeks or so, the stream is causing my PC to completely lock up.  Sometimes there is a warning, in which the stream audio will slow down, in which case closing the app prevents the freeze.  Sometimes it goes into repeat buffering, which also means a freeze is coming.  Sometimes the picture alone freezes and the audio continues, in which case if I close the tab with the stream, sometimes the problem is prevented.  And sometimes there is no warning -- the app locks up, the entire PC freezes, the audio is replaced by buzzing, and I have to do a hard shutdown.

I need to know how to fix this!

1 REPLY 1
Trusted Helper

Re: watch.spectrum.net freezes causing entire PC to lock up

@hackwriter wrote:

My PC is running Windows 7 Professional and I am on the latest version of Chrome.  It is a 2-year-old PC with 16GB of memory and 4GB video memory.

For the last two weeks or so, the stream is causing my PC to completely lock up.  Sometimes there is a warning, in which the stream audio will slow down, in which case closing the app prevents the freeze.  Sometimes it goes into repeat buffering, which also means a freeze is coming.  Sometimes the picture alone freezes and the audio continues, in which case if I close the tab with the stream, sometimes the problem is prevented.  And sometimes there is no warning -- the app locks up, the entire PC freezes, the audio is replaced by buzzing, and I have to do a hard shutdown.

I need to know how to fix this!

Hello,

It sounds like you have enough RAM.  And Windows 7 is still supported for another year.  Questions:

• Have you tried another browser, such as Firefox or IE?
  • Have you made any changes to your system prior to this issue occuring?
  • What add-ons/extentions do you have on Chrome?
  • Have you tried running Chrome in InCogenito Mode (Private Browsing?)
  • Do you have problems watching videos at other sites?
  • What stream are you watching?- Spectrum TV?
  • Do you have Windows Update set to Automatic?
  • Do you have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player?  I would recommend uninstalling and than reinstalling Adobe Flash Player.  Make sure you get it from Adobe's website!  (This will give you the latest version.)  Also check for Windows Updates and install them.

We have reports of issues with Spectrum TV.  But not with forcing a complete lock-up of the system.

Satch