Rookie

Re: Live TV on Linux PC - Adobe Flash support problems

I completely agree. It's a workaround. Hopefully temporary. All i hoped was to help someone by consolidating atwcusers' idea into the steps i followed. Perhaps Time Warner's bureaucratically nudging us to grease Microsoft's pockets. Because without Windows, our only timely solution becomes some nitetime, back-alley workaround. With all due respect.
Rookie

@Green:

Thanks for the pipelight flash plugin tip!  It did take some searching around to find that it is availble from  a PPA type repository.   I have not found anything about the HAL part, though.  It seems to run OK, but a bit choppy in full screen mode on the Intel graphics built into a Core Duo Dell Latitude D820 running 32-bit Mint 17.2 (might try it on my D830 with discrete Nvidia GPU).

Here are the comands I ran to get it installed in case that would help anyone else:

sudo add-apt-repository ppaSmiley Tongueipelight/stable
 sudo apt-get update
 sudo apt-get install --install-recommends pipelight-multi
 sudo pipelight-plugin --update
 sudo pipelight-plugin --enable flash

However, I could not see it in the FireFox plug-ins list, and TWC was still finding something "too old" to proceed.  However, I finally checked my preferred browser, SeaMonkey, and found the new Flash plug-in (Windows version 19.0.0.185 per the Pipelight scheme to run Wine to use the Windows version it seems), and that runs the Flash TV program.

The problem I then had was that I already had the normal Linux 11.x version installed alongside the new Pipeline/Windows version (per the plug-ins list), and it seems the TWC Flash implementation was "seeing" that version and still demanding a Flash update.  So I tried the trick of simply renaming the Adobe plug-in files, and that worked - kludgy!

cd /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin
sudo mv libflashplayer.so libflashplayer.s0x
sudo mv libpepflashplayer.so libpepflashplayer.s0x

Will I have to manually update this Windows version every time Adobe releases a new version?

TIA,

R

Rookie

I usually just update the Pipelight plugins manually. A cron job can be done for allowing automatic updating if needed.

For Firefox 41 in Ubuntu 14.04, I'll exit out of Firefox and then do a manual update by running:

sudo pipelight-plugin --update
(^This updates the plugin database.)

Then to remove any older Pipelight Firefox plugin, I'll then run:

sudo pipelight-plugin --remove-mozilla-plugins

(^This of course should remove any plugins from Firefox that were added by Pipelight.)

Finally I then have to install the new Pipelight plugin for Firefox by doing:

sudo pipelight-plugin --create-mozilla-plugins

(^This installs the Pipelight plugins into Firefox.)

You can then verify the version of Flash in use by going to Adobe's about Flash Player page at:

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

The plugin updates apparently have to be pushed by the Pipelight maintainers, though they have been fairly quick in doing so:

http://pipelight.net/cms/faqs/faq-plugin-download-fails-plugin-is-oudated.html

Rookie

@Green

Thanks for the quick responses about updating Pipelight.  

However, it is looking as though this could be a hassle for what is, after all, a workaround for TWC's lacking Linux support.   Rather than have that tail wag my Linux PC "dog", I can accomplish this with a low cost Windows 8.1 tablet that I don't use for much else (especially anything on the Internet where security is important ;-} ).  It has HDMI output, that I can use to display on a big monitor/TV (unlike with Android where TWC's app prevents that - seems DRM "lockdown" on Android is not as trustworthy as it is on Windows, or more lazy coding?).

Observer

I had the same problem of Piplight flash not showing up in Firefox plugins, but i found a command on Pipelight's site that fixed it and just wanted to leave it here for anyone else who runs into the same problem.

Here's the command -

sudo pipelight-plugin --create-mozilla-plugins

And link to source -  http://pipelight.net/cms/faqs/faq-pipelight-error-in-aboutplugins.html

Not applicable

The tech world has moved past the problem. That's what HTML5 is for. Unfortunately, TWC hasn't bothered to catch up -- and keeps screwing us for wanting to be able to do everything they promised us when we signed up.

Highlighted
Rookie

I know this is kind of old but I was trying to get it to work and found this thread. None of this worked for me. I found a solution that works perfectly and is very quick. I first installed Play On Linux. Then installed Firefox and flash through play on Linux which can be done with one button. Launch the play on Linux version of Firefox instant live tv. Been watching for hours now. No issues.
Newcomer

I've had the same exact results with Firefox (flash update message) and Chrome (site loads but content won't play).  I tried running the Android app for TWC TV via ARChon for Chrome browser.  The app loads up until the point where content should start. Then the app shuts down and restarts (over and over). Still trying to find a way to watch TWC TV on Linux. BTW I am using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, Chrome Version 46.0.2490.71, ARChon runtime version 1.2 and Twerk (APK packager for Chrome) version 0.8.5.  Any help with this setup or an alternate solution would be greatly appriciated.

Rookie

Did you try my solution? It's easy and works.
Rookie

I can confirm that SillyPutty's solution to install PlayOnLinux and inside that to install Firefox does work for the website http://video2.timewarnercable.com/ and my 64-bit Ubuntu Wily 15.10.