Participant

Ability to download shows to twc app

I was wondering if twc has plans to incorporate an ability to temporarily download an on demand show or movie to the device that can be watched when wifi is not available. I believe, but am not certain that other providers offer this. This would be great for long car rides, plane rides, camping, etc where I do not want to burn through my 4G nor do I want to exhaust my battery running wifi or 4G or there is no wifi/4G available in the first place. It is a win-win.

Maybe this can be a way to get around the networks' rediculous out of home viewing restriction since the show will be downloaded in the home. Is this suggestion reasonable or is there no way this will work?

5 REPLIES 5
Participant

Re: Ability to download shows to twc app

If you like this idea, then reply to this post saying so. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Manager

@BlakeT

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will pass it along for future consideration.  

Thank you for your participation in the Forums!

James M.
Spectrum Social Media Customer Care
Forums Community Manager

Expert

That requires permissions from the copyright holder to :

A: record

B: playback once

You also need probably 3-5 Gb free in your device for a movie

Participant

I have an app through my local library that provides video streaming and here are my findings.

You can directly stream a video like normal OR you can download the video. This means the video will download to the device but can only be viewed through the app. It does not give you a .mp4 or similar file. You can download to your heart's content at home, and then when away, you go back to the app and can watch without wifi.

I don't see this being a copyright issue. Twc ought to adopt a similar system.

Proven Sharer

@BlakeT wrote:

I don't see this being a copyright issue. Twc ought to adopt a similar system.

It's definitely a copyright issue.  The content owners need to permit this.  Netflix and Amazon Prime Video currently offer this for programming.  One can download shows and play them on devices.  The caveat is, that once you start watching the show, you have 48 hours to finish it before you will need to reconnect to the mothership for reauthorization.

The technology exists.  It's a matter of content owners allowing it.