Highlighted
Not applicable

Wifi Won't Stop Auto-Connecting on iOS 12

Phone: iPhone XS Max (Model A1921, Unlocked, bought from Apple.com)

OS: iOS 12.1.2 (16C101). My iOS version is not a beta version

Cell Service Provider: Verizon (post-paid, unlimited 4G LTE, 22 GB/month prioritized network access)

Location: Los Angeles, California, and Orange County, California areas

I downloaded and installed the TWC WiFi Finder and My Spectrum apps in order to access Spectrum Wifi. I also installed the respective profiles as the apps requested. But I decided that, for me, I am better off using Verizon's network for data even if I am near a Spectrum Wifi access point.

So I tried to be rid of Spectrum Wifi. I deleted the TWC WiFi Finder and My Spectrum apps. I deleted the Profiles those apps created in my phone's settings. I Reset Network Settings in my phone's settings.

The problem I have is that, when I go near a Spectrum Wifi access point (including Cable Wifi and related access points), my phone will still try to auto-connect to it. Since I don't have the TWC WiFi Finder or My Spectrum apps or profiles anymore, I end up getting a request for login credentials. This is really annoying, especially while driving.

My question is: How do I completely and permanently disassociate my phone from Spectrum Wifi, Cable Wifi, and all other Spectrum-related Wifi services, so that I will never again be asked to log into any Spectrum Wifi services?

I'm sure Spectrum Wifi is a nice service for those with spotty, slow, or metered cellular data service. I just don't want to use it because I don't need to.

P.S. The only Spectrum app I have left on my phone is Spectrum TV. I'd rather keep that app; but if getting rid of it will solve my problem, I will.

1 REPLY 1
Proven Sharer

Re: Wifi Won't Stop Auto-Connecting on iOS 12

@bigt305234 wrote:

The problem I have is that, when I go near a Spectrum Wifi access point (including Cable Wifi and related access points), my phone will still try to auto-connect to it. Since I don't have the TWC WiFi Finder or My Spectrum apps or profiles anymore, I end up getting a request for login credentials. This is really annoying, especially while driving.

My question is: How do I completely and permanently disassociate my phone from Spectrum Wifi, Cable Wifi, and all other Spectrum-related Wifi services, so that I will never again be asked to log into any Spectrum Wifi services?

I'm sure Spectrum Wifi is a nice service for those with spotty, slow, or metered cellular data service. I just don't want to use it because I don't need to.

P.S. The only Spectrum app I have left on my phone is Spectrum TV. I'd rather keep that app; but if getting rid of it will solve my problem, I will.

I surely hope you aren't trying to enter network credentials while you are driving...

Your device doesn't need the Spectrum WiFi finder.  That just facilitates logging in.  Your device remembers the SSIDs it has connected to in the past (say, your home WiFi, or your friend's).  It then always tries to connect to those networks when it "sees" one within range.

That being said, you can try the following:

1.  When you are connected to one of the newtorks, go to Settings / WiFi

2.  Select the network you've attached to.

2a.  Turn-off the "Auto-Join" slider, or

2b.  Press "Forget this Network"

Not sure if this is what you've already tried.