Highlighted
Rookie

What happened to TWC hotspots? Most sites around town don't have a network connection

I have noticed now when my phone connects to a TWC hotspot, I have no internet connection, so not only do i not get notifications, my phone will auto connect when it sees a hotspot. Now I have to turn off wifi when I leave the house. Please fix and maintain your equipment if you are going to advertise this as a service with my account.
9 REPLIES 9
Expert

Re: What happened to TWC hotspots? Most sites around town don't have a network connection

You probably need to come up with the dead twc wifi locations and notify the business owners so they can call TWC to have them fixed. It sounds like the cable there is dead.

Re: What happened to TWC hotspots? Most sites around town don't have a network connection

There may be settings on your phone that allow it to seek out networks, but it should not be attempting to auto connect unless you have it set to do so. A user name and password must be entered to authenticate the connection. 

Expert

TWC wifi hotspots are on a seperate modem and a Ruckus AP than the business acount. they may not realize it's dead as they still transmit the TWC SSID and login page with the modem turned off or dead.

Rookie

There are settings on my phone to ture off wifi as I have done. The problem is I would like to use the wifi to save on my cell data, like is advertised as a feature of TWC internet. You ara right about the Ruckus Waps however it seems the could ping these and determine if they have a network connection as they can do at a residence or a commercial site. All I'm saying if your going to advertise wifi hotspots use with service, shouldn't there be a discount if they can't provide the services that they are billing for. I doesn't seem like to much to ask
Rookie

Also these are not hotspots at business, but TWC installed Wifi Aps on poles up and down major road in Austin. Business have nothing to do with it. There are business with hotspots. But this is not my problem as these are mostly provided by the business that sponsored the hotspot. The issue is with TWC passport which is supposed to have zero handoff capacity to allow seemless transfer from one wap to the next as you travel down the road. That is non functional as a service with so may APs off line.
Expert

The business sites are the same as the pole mounted ones... They are a seperate modem and not connected to the Biz class s ervice, just a convenient point to locate a hotspot.

Expert

@Twc-MelissaO wrote:

There may be settings on your phone that allow it to seek out networks, but it should not be attempting to auto connect unless you have it set to do so. A user name and password must be entered to authenticate the connection. 

Negative... the AP creates a cookie that allows you to roam between twc hotspots without having to log in...

so if you last used a TWC hotspot and change locations and it finds a new one, it logs you into it even if that sites modem is dead... You end up connected but with no internet

Spectrum Employee

If you do experience any connectivity issues with the TWC WiFi hotspots, we do have a dedicated department that handles those hotspot issues.  That department can be reached at 888-851-9350.

Thank you for your participation in the Forums!

Regards,
Jeremiah S.
TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Moderator - TWC Community Forums

Check out the community guidelines here
Expert

Since ours in Cleveland aren't pole mounted, Is there any way to look at them from a users device to grab it's public IP or Mac addy to notify TWC?

(if it's offline, "what is my IP" won't work)Woman Frustrated