Valued Contributor

Time Warner Wi-Fi hotspots do not work

Lately I have been experiencing problems with the TWC Wi-Fi hotspots. My estimation is that while the hotspot signal may be in a lot of places in NYC (Staten Island specifically), about 85-90% of the time, I can only get a fair to good signal. Even then, I have no internet access or it's very slow to the point that pages time out while loading.

If I'm lucky to get a full signal, it takes forever to obtain the IP address and then ultimately connect. I've had a full signal and have been unable to stream Pandora or load a webpage.

I'm having to turn off Wi-Fi on my phone and use my mobile data. With the TWC Wi-Fi signal in so many places, I'd rather not have to use mobile data, especially when I have to watch how much I use.

I have concluded from my experience that the Wi-Fi hotspots just simply don't work. I'd like to have a better experience.
9 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Time Warner Wi-Fi hotspots do not work

are these in business or outdoor pole mounted hotspots?

The indoor ones using 1670 gateways are horrible coverage and buggy as well. Supposedly the outdoor ones work for 500 feet

Valued Contributor

Indoor and outdoor coverage are the same, which is to say non-existant. It's very rare that I can connect to a TWC hotspot and actually be able to get data connectivity. The signal constantly drops, it takes forever to get connected, obtain the IP address, and then finish the connection process.

Valued Contributor

Following up on this. Would like to get an answer as to why I am experiencing such poor connectivity to the TWC WiFi hotspots.

TWC Employee

Hey there, 

What phone are you using?

Have you tried any other devices?

Have you found any that do work properly?

TWC - Northeast Region
Valued Contributor

Dust - 

I am using an Android phone (Motorola Droid Maxx). It's the only device I have to use (that is portable anyway). Here is what my experience is with the hotspots.

The WiFi signal will be displayed with anywhere from 1-4 bars as follows:

1 - Poor

2 - Fair

3 - Good

4 - Excellent

I would say the majority of the time, the signal shows up as fair or good. As soon as I try to connect, the signal will drop down to poor, then become disabled. About 15 seconds later, it goes back to fair or good. On fair or good, it takes 2-3 minutes or more to connect, get the IP, and then finish the connection process. I'm able to use either TWC WiFi or Cable WiFi. Connection experience is the same with either one.

For example, I'll have iHeart Radio or Pandora running on my mobile data. TWC WiFi or Cable WiFi shows up. I'll connect to it, but it takes constantly connecting to it because of what I've mentioned above. Once it does connect, the music stops because there isn't a good enough data signal getting through. I'll be on a bus and the TWC or Cable WiFi will keep dropping out and coming back, but there isn't a constant connection.

I could be standing at a bus stop using just the Internet to try and see when the bus is coming. I'll be connected to the TWC or Cable WiFi, but can't get a page to load. In one situation, I had Pandora running and was connected to the TWC WiFi while walking down the street. The connection was weak and not reliable enough for a music data stream.

I ended up calling WiFi customer service and gave them the address of where I was. They stated the TWC WiFi signal I was connected to corresponded to an indoor TWC Business class customer. I apparently needed to go down the street a ways to a particular address to find the nearest TWC customer public WiFi.

So, all in all, it's not very often that I see the TWC or Cable WiFi show up as an excellent signal. I'm not understanding why the signal will show as good and then when I connect, show up as poor, and then return right back to good. 

Valued Contributor

Two more issues to add.

I was recently in an area where a TWC Wi-Fi signal showed up on my phone. As usual, it was a weak signal. I decided to open the MyTWC app to download the Wi-Fi finder. Once installed, it reported that I was less than 0.1 miles from the nearest TWC Wi-Fi. So, why if being that close, can I not get a decent signal.

In regards to the Wi-Fi finder map, it doesn't seem to auto update when physical location is changed. I decided to uninstall the app. This brings me to the next issue.

Leaving the Wi-Fi on my phone turned on, I later reconnected to a TWC Wi-Fi hotspot. I opened chrome and tried to load a web page. I was redirected to a TWC login page. I've previously provided my login info when I connected to a TWC Wi-Fi hotspot for the first time. Why am I having to login again? Initially, the login would not process and I had to turn off the Wi-Fi. I could not access the internet while connected to TWC Wi-Fi until I could successfully complete the login.

I'd like to know more about the issues I'm experiencing and what can be done to have these Wi-Fi hotspots work better than what they currently do.
Valued Contributor

Is anyone from TWC going to help resolve this issue?
Established Sharer

For direct support we can be reached in the following ways:
Phone 1-888-892-2253
and TWC_ForumsHelp

Highlighted
TWC Employee

Sorry about the late reply, after looking around I found a few things that might suggest your phone may have an issue, but I hate to suggest that when we have not tested other devices on the same hotspots to make 100% sure it's not the hotspots. 

http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-maxx/347997-motorola-droid-maxx-poor-4g-reception.ht...

http://androidforums.com/threads/droid-maxx-constant-fluctuation-in-signal.768017/

Again it would be best to test another device on those hotspots first, maybe a friend? family? just to make 100% the issue is specific to you.

((I should probably start using the email me when someone replies feature on this forum.))

TWC - Northeast Region