Rookie

Netgear AP to connect to TWCWIFI

I'm on assignment and the workplace has no internet access.  At my desk I have a very low level signal to a TWCWIFI access point and it cuts in and out all day long.

I would like to install a Netgear Access Point and place the antenna on the roof of the trailer to get better reception but I can't get the Access Point to connect to the TWCWIFI endpoint.

Has anyone been successful in doing this type of setup where you use an Access Point in Client Mode and then run an ethernet cable from the AP to the laptop/computer?

4 REPLIES 4
Expert

Re: Netgear AP to connect to TWCWIFI

Yes, on Cisco/Linksys  running  DDWRT firmware. Or buy a Ubiquity, be sure to get one that has a cabled external antenna to set outside or in a window facing the AP.

Next issue is the time vs distance, be sure to set it for a footage longer than the actual physical distance. The AP itself may be restricted to 200' and if you're 1000' away with a good signal will be blocked.

Rookie

Is DDWRT firmware the same as Tomato firmware?

Everyone's Tags (1)
Expert

Similar. If it allows you to search for nearby systems, you can set it to client mode, then either bridged or routed.

I'll bet you need to run CLIENT BRIDGE mode to a WIFI on TWC to get you a DNS lease. That would allow you to run more than one seperate twc user id on the lan ports.

You are connecting to an ACCESS POINT, not being one! The twc hotspot is the AP

Everyone's Tags (6)
Rookie

I have an interesting update for you all.

I found an older Netgear router in my home office and connected that to my laptop using an ethernet cable but kept the wireless modem on and connected to TWCWiFi.  I downloaded the DD-WRT for the router and updated the ROM.  I then setup the router's wifi to Client Mode and connected to the closest TWCWiFi access point.  The router automatically reconfigured itself and connected to the access point with an IP address.  I then turned OFF the laptop's wifi and was able to get internet access through the router.  It was still spotty but not as bad.  I turned off the 5g wifi signal and locked down the router so only I can use it.

I then ran an external antenna to the roof of the trailer and wala, great signal strength.  I'm now able to use my laptop in this trailer and get a solid connection now.

Thank you for the help and suggestions!