Newcomer

Can't Access Hotspot Because "Another device on the network is using your computer's IP address"

Frequently when I try to access CableWiFi or TWCWiFi Hotspots, I am unable to access the internet and a box pops up on my computer screen that says:

"Another device on the nework is using your compuer's IP address"

It lists my IP address in parenthesis, then underneath it continues,

"Try connecting again later. If you continue to have problems, change the IP address of this computer or the IP address of the other device. Contact the network administrator if you need more information."

I have only authorized one computer  to use Hotspots on this Time Warner account. Apparently someone is stealing my internet connection and connecting multiple devices to these Hotspots without my authorization. How do I prevent them from doing so?

5 REPLIES 5
Expert

Re: Can't Access Hotspot Because "Another device on the network is using your computer's IP add

No, I bet you set a static IP in your computer...

Let me guess... 192.168.0.2...

Change to Dynamic....DHCP

Newcomer

Re: Can't Access Hotspot Because "Another device on the network is using your computer's IP add

I was not previously acquainted with DHCP. Thank you for your response. However, it looks like setting my computer to DHCP would leave it open to attacks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol#Security

Expert

NO! no no no no....

Expert

Read this at the top of the wiki...

This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. Please consider expanding the lead to provide an accessible overview of all important aspects of the article. Please discuss this issue on the article's talk page. (November 2015)
This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (April 2010)
Spectrum Employee

If you are connecting to a CableWIFI, thats a PUBLIC WiFi, meaning quite possibly a lot of devices connected. If you're device is set to a static IP instead of dynamic, via DHCP, you are going to get IP conflicts. If you are truly worried about DHCP leaving you vulnerable...lol...then set your static IP to like 192.168.0.250. Less likelihood of someone having that IP on the network.

I am a Spectrum employee but my posts are my own thoughts and opinions