Highlighted
Newcomer

Dropping cable tv (under Time Warner)

I was told over the phone on Monday (Jan 27th 2020) that if I desired to drop my cable tv and I keep my internet and phone service, I would be forced over into Sprectrum. Is this true? IF so WHY? I want to remain under Time Warner. All I want to do is just drop the cable tv. Confused!

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Established Sharer

Re: Dropping cable tv (under Time Warner)

TWC is no more... it is now Spectrum.

They are maintaining limited legacy support until those agreements expire or are otherwise terminated, at which point a new agreement begins under Spectrum.

Probably some clause in the merger about it. We got a notice about it in our bills back in 2018, maybe even 2017... forget exactly. Was a heads up that after a certain date if we were on promo deals with TWC our plans would convert to Spectrum plans when they expired.

Most of us just went ahead and got on a Spectrum promo at that time because they were bumping us to 60mbps internet (TWC standard was 20).
Highlighted
Seasoned Contributor

This question has come up before. As I recall unless you have some spectacular discount from TWC, it is usually better to change to Spectrum for internet and phone.  It usually gives you much faster internet at cheaper or equal costs. The people who want to stick with TWC usually do so for the TV. On the TV end TWC usually had the better plans and channel lineups (IMHO). 

The other thing that @RAIST5150 mentioned is that Time Warner Cable does not exist anymore. Right now you are a Spectrum customer on a TWC plan, but there is no Time Warner Cable anymore. There are legacy TWC plans and current Spectrum plans, but it is all Spectrum. Spectrum is getting your money every time you pay your bill. 

Your best bet is to research the internet options Spectrum offers and compare them to what you pay now. Sometimes this can be hard if your bundle does not split everything up, but generally you will come out ahead by going to a Spectrum plan for internet. 

Highlighted
Helper

Old TWC plans were grandfathered in but as soon as you make any major changes that grandfathered TWC plan goes away. What you're asking is for Spectrum to put you on an old internet only TWC plan which no longer exists.

Spectrum internet only plans are generally a much better deal than the old TWC plans, especially now that Spectrum plans have increased speeds and old TWC plans stay stuck in the past.

Highlighted
Trusted Helper

@slandis01 wrote:

I was told over the phone on Monday (Jan 27th 2020) that if I desired to drop my cable tv and I keep my internet and phone service, I would be forced over into Sprectrum. Is this true? IF so WHY? I want to remain under Time Warner. All I want to do is just drop the cable tv. Confused!

Hello,

What you were told by the CSR over the phone is correct. The reason why is because TWC no longer exists.  You can swap equipment out and stay under a TWC plan, but any changes to the account involving service modifications of any kind, will force all users to a Spectrum plan.  The plans and codes for a legacy TWC plan anymore are out of all Spectrum computers.  

The old data can only stay as long as no changes are made to the account.  Whatever gets changed, goes to the equivalent Spectrum codes and pricing.  If you haven't gotten a promotion under Spectrum pricing, ask the rep if any sales are offered for a year.  Be aware though, that under Spectrum, they will only be able to promote you for a year.  A plus is that some of their regular rates , like box rentals , are cheaper than the former TWC's regular rates.  

Satch