Highlighted
Not applicable

Deleted recordings undelete themselves

In the past several months, programs that I have recorded and deleted constantly reappear in my list. I have changed cable boxes but the problem persists.

What is strange is that it happens only for programs recorded on a single station (channel 8, PBS SoCal). Programs that are deleted from a different channel (eg HBO) remain deleted.

I have not been able to figure out if they reappear after the box has been turned off and then on again or if it is after a number of minutes (or combination of the two). Either way, this shouldn't happen, especially as it is localized to a single channel.

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Lead Moderator

Re: Deleted recordings undelete themselves

Good morning. 

What guide are you using? 

How do you have that program set up? Set to delete when the box is full or something else?

Julia 

Highlighted
Not applicable

Sorry, but I'm unsure what you mean by "what guide."

Some of the programs (PBS Newshour and PBS Weekend News) are recurring (series) recordings. Great Performances were individual recordings. Although the programs might be set to delete when the box is full, I delete them manually after watching. Once I delete them, they are gone until the resurrect later.

UPDATE: When I look at my list of recordings, it says that the disc is 5% full. After I manually delete all of the recordings, it still states that the disc is 5% full. There are 18 recordings of the weekly news (18 hours), 5 recordings of the weekend news (2.5 hours), 2 recordings of Great Performances (3 hours). There was also one program from HBO (1 hour).

I just manually deleted everything. I then turned the box on and off about 4 times within the course of the following 4 minutes. At that point, ALL of the PBS SoCal (channel 8) shows returned. The HBO show remained deleted.

Additional info: I checked the History pane. After deleting everything, the history list showed the latest HBO program as DELETED and showed only the oldest of each of the PBS programs but showed them as COMPLETED: in one case May 8th, in the other May 9th (in other words, the 1st of the 18 shows respectively the 1st of 9 shows).

Finally, when perusing the "resurrected" shows in my list to watch, many of them indicate that I hadn't even watched a portion of them (which I had). Also, the History pane also "resurrected" the complete list of previously deleted programs.

Highlighted
Lead Moderator

When you say you are turning off and back on, you are not unplugging the power, just powering off with the remote?

You can find out what guide you have here: https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/which-guide-do-i-have-t?redirected=true

I ask this because I can check on known issue for this guide. 

Julia 

Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi Julia!

First, it is the Spectrum Guide (not SARA et al).

Second, I have only been turning the power on and off, not disconnecting the power cord.

Third, as I mentioned in my original post, this happened with the same model box/guide that I had previously. Spectrum exchanged boxes hoping it would fix the problem. I should also mention that both Spectrum and I (with the original box) disconnected the power, did a manual reset, refreshed receiving a signal sent by Spectrum.

Fourth - and most importantly -- thank you for taking the time to assist me.

PS Would you like me to take any screen shots?

Highlighted
Trusted Helper

@gberkson wrote:

Hi Julia!

First, it is the Spectrum Guide (not SARA et al).

Second, I have only been turning the power on and off, not disconnecting the power cord.

Third, as I mentioned in my original post, this happened with the same model box/guide that I had previously. Spectrum exchanged boxes hoping it would fix the problem. I should also mention that both Spectrum and I (with the original box) disconnected the power, did a manual reset, refreshed receiving a signal sent by Spectrum.

Fourth - and most importantly -- thank you for taking the time to assist me.

PS Would you like me to take any screen shots?

To add to this thread,

If you have a  camera screenshots always help.  What programs do you have listed currently as a SERIES? These are the screenshots that I would like to see on the problematic PBS channel.

How long is the time interval between the deletion of a show or series and than it is randomly coming back?

What model box do you have now?  Do you recall if your previous box was the same model?

Where are you located? City? State? and Zip?

Satch

Highlighted
Lead Moderator

If you will give this a try for me please 

1.      Press Menu on your remote. 

1.    Using the arrow buttons, scroll to Account Overview and then press  OK/Select. 
  2.    Scroll to Equipment using the arrow buttons and then press OK/Select. 
  3.    Highlight RESET DATA and then press OK/Select. 
  4.   Once the system has reset give that another try please. 

We have seen a few issues with the Spectrum guide when it comes to Deleting recently. I am not seeing that what you describe is listed. Do you ever get error messages when attempting to delete programs? One thing I suggest for you is to go in and edit the options for saving those programs to delete when space is needed. 

Julia 

Highlighted
Not applicable

IMG_2819.JPGIMG_2820.JPGIMG_2821.JPGIMG_2822.JPGNon-series recording (PBS)Non-series recording (PBS)History list AFTER deleting everythingHistory list AFTER deleting everythingAccessing info on "deleted" non-series recording (PBS)Accessing info on "deleted" non-series recording (PBS)Hi Satch!

I'm also answering Julia's latest questions in a direct reply to her message.

But to answer your questions:

Am attaching photos below. I also took a pic of the settings for the HBO program that does delete as well as the History screen after deleting everything.

It's hard to pinpoint the delay in time. When I was writing earlier, about 4 minutes. Just now, longer. However, I encountered other problems. Suddenly the full Menu and DVR Menu would not load and would only get the mini versions. After turning the power on and off several times, I did a manual reboot which solved that problem. But this time, it was about 10 minutes.

The box is a Technicolor 210 as was the box that this one replaced that had exactly the same illness.

I am located in La Quinta, CA 92253.

Now I'm off to reply to Julia's latest.

And thanks for your help too!

Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi Julia!

In case you didn't see, I also replied to Satch's post. Didn't want to get things too confused.

In reply to your request, I did as you asked. The programs came back.

G

Highlighted
Trusted Helper

@gberkson wrote:

IMG_2819.JPGIMG_2820.JPGIMG_2821.JPGIMG_2822.JPGNon-series recording (PBS)Non-series recording (PBS)History list AFTER deleting everythingHistory list AFTER deleting everythingAccessing info on "deleted" non-series recording (PBS)Accessing info on "deleted" non-series recording (PBS)Hi Satch!

I'm also answering Julia's latest questions in a direct reply to her message.

But to answer your questions:

Am attaching photos below. I also took a pic of the settings for the HBO program that does delete as well as the History screen after deleting everything.

It's hard to pinpoint the delay in time. When I was writing earlier, about 4 minutes. Just now, longer. However, I encountered other problems. Suddenly the full Menu and DVR Menu would not load and would only get the mini versions. After turning the power on and off several times, I did a manual reboot which solved that problem. But this time, it was about 10 minutes.

The box is a Technicolor 210 as was the box that this one replaced that had exactly the same illness.

I am located in La Quinta, CA 92253.

Now I'm off to reply to Julia's latest.

And thanks for your help too!

Thanks!

I only see triangles in your screenshots though.  I would not reboot or refresh the equipment too much though. The sounds more like some kind of guide/software bug.  If Spectrum can pin this down, they can open up a ticket on this issue.

The thing is that rebooting resets all error signals, whether you are rebooting a box, modem, or router, and it takes at least six hours for any error codes to come back. This is why so many people will not wait at least six hours, and will reboot the equipment before six hours have passed. Tech comes out and finds nothing wrong. This is because the error codes that the tech reads on his meter are reset with the reboot of any equipment and take six hours to come back. Keep this in mind for service calls.

But see what Julia's equipment reset options do for you.

Satch