Observer

Spectrum TV app on IOS detects VPN and won't open

Spectrum TV app version 6.18.1

IOS version 11.2.5

When I connect to a hosted VPN service, the Spectrum TV app mostly blocks me saying the app doesn't support vpn, but sometimes it works.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Spectrum TV App but that didn't help.

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES
Helper

Re: Spectrum TV app on IOS detects VPN and won't open

@Misled wrote:

Spectrum TV app version 6.18.1

IOS version 11.2.5

When I connect to a hosted VPN service, the Spectrum TV app mostly blocks me saying the app doesn't support vpn, but sometimes it works.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Spectrum TV App but that didn't help.

Any ideas?

Don't connect via a VPN. The app is trying to authenticate you by matching the connection to the modem's address that is active on the account at your service address. 

Browser

This has been discussed before, but to be clear, the Spectrum app is designed NOT to work with a vpn. This is not a bug or flaw.  This is by design. From Spectrum’s point of view some of the more savvy users will set up a vpn, give out their username and password and then, BAM, it is free cable for all.  Right or wrong it is how Spectrum feels they are protecting their product and it won’t change. 

Newcomer

I get the idea, and I understand it.  But on the other hand, the only reason I subscribe to the SpectrumChoice internet based streaming service is so I can watch TV on my devices through the internet by logging into them.  All of the specific channel apps let me log in and watch them with my user ID and password. Why doesn't the Spectrum app do the same for those who subscribe only to the "SpectrumChoice" internet based service?  i.e. no cable box...

Browser

This has been an ongoing debate on this and other forums since TWC/Spectrum has had an app. If I pay big bucks for 200 cable channels why can’t I watch them all when I travel.  If we lived in a perfect world where everyone were honest this would not be an issue. We would also not need locks on our doors. Spectrum and it’s numerous accountants have run the numbers and decided that too many people would game the system. Like everything in life there are enough scammers that Spectrum believes they would lose money. So the honest guy who just wants to watch TV easily when he travels can’t. If you keep up with the tech news you will have seen that even Netflix is starting to look at this problem.  They found that 20 per cent of users share passwords and that number is growing. When they find out a way to stop that they will.  As for individual channels allowing login on the road Spectrum realizes they can’t control that, although they would probably like too.  For better or worse Spectrum is a business and their job is to make money for their shareholders, not to spread TV to the masses. The other truth is that if someone offered me a better service I would drop Spectrum in a minute. It is the sad state of things that Spectrum is the best option I have right now.