Highlighted
Not applicable

New DVR issues

I’ve had Spectrum since April 2019. I have been a previous customer. But the new DVR Humax 201 has problems. I can’t use the IOS app to schedule recordings. Also caller ID won’t display. When pausing a program the buffer stops working when it gets full. Also the picture starts to pixilate often. I’ve call and had Spectrums techs out. I was told that they are aware of the problem and was told there is NO plans to fix these issues. Anybody have any suggestions? Other than going with another provider.
4 REPLIES 4
Trusted Helper

Re: New DVR issues

@Big-Dave wrote:
I’ve had Spectrum since April 2019. I have been a previous customer. But the new DVR Humax 201 has problems. I can’t use the IOS app to schedule recordings. Also caller ID won’t display. When pausing a program the buffer stops working when it gets full. Also the picture starts to pixilate often. I’ve call and had Spectrums techs out. I was told that they are aware of the problem and was told there is NO plans to fix these issues. Anybody have any suggestions? Other than going with another provider.

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately, the new World Boxes are just starting to roll out the mobile technology, and it is not in all areas yet.  This includes remote DVR management and Caller ID on TV.  Two separate issues to address:

1.) Pixilation- A swapped box will NEVER solve pixilation issues.  This is due to problems with the signals, or the drop line or both.  Contact Spectrum for a signal and drop line test.  Don't reboot any boxes, modems, or routers for at least six hours before your service call.  Reboots will reset the signal error codes and the tech needs to see those error codes.  We need to make sure your wiring and lines are good.

2.) Box Help- If you get a box with a clock, you will have Remote DVR acces back within 48-72 hours of installation. Caller ID will be back with 24 hours, usually within 8 hours.  Get a box with a clock.  An Arris or a Samsung.  They also have the better ODN Guide.

Satch

Not applicable

The pixilation is not a signal problem. It’s a read from the hard drive. If you rewind and fast forward enough it will clear. Also rebooting the DVR will solve it. If it’s a signal issue these steps wouldn’t clear it. The DVR I have now will record more than 2 shows. Are the DVR’s you mentioned multi tuner boxes?
Trusted Helper

@Big-Dave wrote:
The pixilation is not a signal problem. It’s a read from the hard drive. If you rewind and fast forward enough it will clear. Also rebooting the DVR will solve it. If it’s a signal issue these steps wouldn’t clear it. The DVR I have now will record more than 2 shows. Are the DVR’s you mentioned multi tuner boxes?

Hi Dave,

Actually rebooting the DVR will clear signal issues, but only temporarily if there is something in the wires or line drop.  The thing is, the pixilation if there is something in the line. (And assuming Spectrum is NOT doing overnight line sweep maintenance after midnight, pixilation could come back within hours to a week).  That's the hard part to predict.  Only a visit by a tech and not rebooting equipment for six hours before the tech visit can determine if there is a signal issue, or line issue.  When was your last tech visit for a signal/line drop check?

Yes, you could still have a box issue, and typically the Arris 3510, that they will give out is only a two-tuner box.  Go to a Spectrum office and try to get either the Cisco 9865 (a.k.a Technicolor-They bought out Cisco) OR get the Arris 3600M.  Both are six-tuners and are the best boxes.

You will probably be able to check and confirm if the pixilation was a problem with the World Box if the replacement box doesn't do the same within a week. (At least five of the seven days will need to pass minimally.)  Now, if you still have pixilation after the box swap, you have a signal issue, line issue, wiring issue and the signal test, with no reboots of any equipment for six hours prior to the service call would be the next step.

There are even cases where the line drop and residential wiring could be OK signal-wise, but there could be something further along in the node such as the main junction box on your street.  In these cases, Spectrum can send out bucket crews (maintenance guys) if the field tech determines a signal issue that isn't in your residential line or wiring. Signals and wiring cover a lot of areas that often extend beyond the residence.  A box with a clock will be able to isolate if this is a box problem or signal problem.  Good luck with this!

Oh, and if your market doesn't have the six-tuner DVR's and you are stuck with World Box, try to get the Technicolor, NOT the Humax.  But considering, it sounds like you need a box with a clock.  Just please don't get the silver SA-models!  They are twenty years old and slower than snails! (Along with only 160GB of storage.) All the modern DVR's, including the World Boxes have 1TB of storage.

Satch

Spectator

Just to echo Satch, it is definitely worth going to your Spectrum store and trying to get one of the six-tuner boxes. I swapped out my World Box 210-H last week for an Arris 3600 and I am much happier. It is a huge improvement. I was getting very frustrated with the lack of remote DVR scheduling/management with the World Box and it is great to have it back with the Arris box. DVR series management is also much better on the Arris. Finally, a small thing but  the remote for the Arris is  much more capable than the one that comes with the World Box.