Rookie

Spectrum Support can't figur it out.

I am new to Steaming, but a bunch of things make no sense. Spectum can't show me a channel listing. I can't get local channels. Channels I am entitles to give me a message saying I m not subscribed when I attempt to put the shows in my library. The pause/run button does not work on the Roku remote and rewind changes the channel. This ony happens on the Spectum app and not others like the apps for NBC, PBS, Netflix, etc.

I've spent several hours on the phone with Spectrum support and they have passed me around and told me stories, reset my service several times to no avail.

12 REPLIES 12
Helper

Re: Spectrum Support can't figur it out.

First thing I have to ask...Is the Roku connected to your home network?

Do you have internet from Spectrum?

When did you sign up for service? I've seen where it can take up to 24 hours for everything to sync properly.

What model number Roku device are you using? I think the 1st generation of devices have issues and are not compatible with the app.

Rookie

I have spectrum internet. I have a brand new Roku Ultra. I have uninstalled and re-installed the spectrum app. I have had the service for 3 days now and Spectrum has reset my ccount every day with no change except yesterday I lost the pause/run button and rewind now changes the channel. Still no local channels.

Rookie

Also, I don't have the Roku on my home network per se. We share the router, and I can detect the Roku to cast my PC screen to the Roku.

Helper

Let me see if I understand...you're watching Spectrum TV via the web browser and trying to cast that to the Roku?

Why not just use the app native to the Roku? I'm 99.99% sure casting from the browser to any device is not supported. I know for sure I cannot use Airplay to cast from my Macbook to the Apple TV (not a problem now that Apple TV officially supports the Spectrum TV app).

Rookie

@reds91185 wrote:

Let me see if I understand...you're watching Spectrum TV via the web browser and trying to cast that to the Roku?

Why not just use the app native to the Roku? I'm 99.99% sure casting from the browser to any device is not supported. I know for sure I cannot use Airplay to cast from my Macbook to the Apple TV (not a problem now that Apple TV officially supports the Spectrum TV app).

No, that isn't it at all. The Spectum App is giving me fits. I am using screen casting as a work around because Spectrum can't figure out how to make their app work on my Roku. Individual channel apps ike History, ABC, PBS, Netflix all work fine. The Spectrum app is the issue. I can't pause the video, most shows won't go into the Library saying I am not subscribed, even though I am.

Helper

@Badflash wrote:

Also, I don't have the Roku on my home network per se. We share the router, and I can detect the Roku to cast my PC screen to the Roku.

What do you mean by this statement that the Roku isn't on your home network per se  and that you share the router?

Rookie

@reds91185 wrote:

@Badflash wrote:

What do you mean by this statement that the Roku isn't on your home network per se  and that you share the router?

Just exactly that. If I look on my PC for devices on my network, the Roku Ultra does not appear. I can discover it using Connections, but the Roku is not normally networked to the PC. I only link them up if I need to display something on my laptop on the TV.

Rookie

I think I got an answer, but I won't know for a few more days. The missing channels seems to be a problem created by billing. Tech support says that even though my plan authorizes channels fro 1 to 100, it can take up to 5 days for billing to get their act together and click the right boxes. They must be using sneakernet and snail mail. The wierdness with not being able to add things to the watchlist is supposedly caused by the same billing department issue.

The problem with the Pause/Play button and Rewind is that it is not supported in live TV by Spectrum. I made an assumption that it worked like everyone elses apps, but they obviousy cut a lot of corners when they rolled out this app. YoutubeTV and Philo have Pause/Play as does all the individual channel apps. They also put things in the equivelent of the Library right away and you don't have to wait until the next day like Spectrum does.

I am very dissapointed with the way this app works and will likely dump it for YoutubeTV when the Spectrum Teaser Rate expires and they want $50 a month for it. For$20 I can tolerate these slip-shod anoyances. You would think they would have looked at other people's apps before building theirs. Nope.

Rookie

As far as I can tell there is no ability to pause FF and rewind live TV using the spectrum app. I had hoped adding the cloud DVR component in late April would allow this - alas it does not. The best I can do is record a show, then immediately go play that recording and you can then pause/FF/Rewind like a normal service.
What Spectrum were thinking leaving out such a crucial function of tv I have no idea. Hulu live, fubo, PlayStation.vue, YouTube, DirecTV now, apple.tv ALL HAVE THIS FEATURE!!