Newcomer

Spectrum App on Roku does not recognize my DVR

Why does the Spectrum app for Roku not recognize my DVR? My Samsung 8 has the spectrum App and when I open it there is an option for my DVR. I have threwe Samsung TV's and ther Spectrum App on all three does not recognize my DVR. I just purchased a Roku Stick+ and again the Spectrum App does not recognize my DVR. WHY?

9 REPLIES
Lead Moderator

Re: Spectrum App on Roku does not recognize my DVR

Good morning. 

At this time our remote DVR manager is not available on Roku, Samsung TV or 

the Xbox One.

Currently you are only able to manage recordings on the iOS, Android and Kindle Fire versions of the Spectrum TV app. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Rookie

I was just advised today by one of your in field technicians that you could access recordings via the roku spectrum app, yet I am not able to do so on my just purchased roku express.   When will this issue be resolved?  This is a serious customer support issue for me.  Please advise.

Lead Moderator

Good morning.

Playback of DVR content is not something that our Spectrum TV product 

offers through Roku or other devices with the App.

At this time the only way to view your DVR content is through the DVR. Remote DVR is accessible to Mobile Devices, tablets and computers if you have compatible DVR equipment.  It will allow you to view what programs have been recorded to the DVR, manage the recording list and delete programs. You can select watch now and the program you have selected will play on the TV the DVR is connected to, it will not play

in the App. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Rookie

Thanks for your response.  The issue for me is that I made some changes to my service which caused my grandfathered time warner plan to switch to a spectrum plan.  You no longer provide whole house dvr as time warner did, so we are forced to watch all recordings in one room.     Seems to me this is something you would want to fix.  

Newcomer

Is it in the works? 

I was told the same thing by a Spectrum Customer Supprot tech.

I would not have bought the ROKU stick if I had know that:-(

Proven Sharer

Spectrum is currently testing and evaluating replay from serving sources in the cloud, but not yet including user-provided video storage devices on a home LAN.  Strong anti-piracy copyright restrictions would come into play if any user sources are accessed. 

Newcomer

It is not accurate to say that the Spectrum App on iOS will manage the DVR.  In fact, after many hours on the phone with technical support, and several hours with a Spectrum technician at my house, I am told that the "new" Spectrum DVR hardware is not compatible with the DVR management portion of the Spectrum TV App.   

The situation has just recently degraded, so now when selecting DVR in the iOS App, it fails immediately and says "DVR Management Unavailable - No Spectrum Receivers are associated with your account."  Clearly, I do have Spectrum receivers on my account and at my house - as verified by the Spectrum technician.

To advertise a service, and then roll out software that doesn't work -- is poor service.  To mislead customers about the cause, not have any forward plan other than "we're working on it", and to continue to charge customers for this service... is unethical.

Newcomer

This topic has been on TWC/Spectrum forums for years.  MANY people are unhappy with this, and yet TWC/Spectrum continues to NOT provide this option.  We record a show (using a TWC/Spectrum DVR unit we pay rent for), and then are told by TWC/Spectrum to use the recommended device (Roku) to watch in other rooms.  BUT, the recorded material can ONLY be watched on a TV in the same room as the DVR.  To respond with use the app on a different device but not a TV is nonsense.  We have a TV so we can watch TV shows.  If I have a large screen TV in another room that does not have a DVR, and you want me to watch that recorded material on my 5" phone, or 10" tablet?  Really?  NONSENSE, and defintely not good customer service.

Newcomer

We were also told when we bought the package last year that we'd be able to access (watch) DVR programming from any device (Roku, smartphone, etc). We've learned how everything works now, but if they are stilling telling people this, there needs to be a massive retraining of either how the DVR works, or about not misleading customers to get sales.