Not applicable

Spectrum App not working after swapping modem

I swapped my personal modem for the Spectrum modem hoping to increase speed. Big mistake. Now the spectrum app works on none of my devices: iPad, phones, roku. I factory reset my router. Wifi works fine and all other apps work, including channels on the roku that require spectrum log in. I unplugged both the modem and router to reset. I deleted and reinstalled the app. Nothing works. I called tech support and was on the phone for nearly an hour. I was told to wait 24 hours while they changed something in the backend. If that doesn’t solve the issue I would like to get my old router back online. I never had a problem before. Any suggestions appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
Browser

Re: Spectrum App not working after swapping modem

Same thing happened to me both times swapped modem

Look up cloning your PC Mac address on your router

Not applicable

We are having the same issue. Spectrum won't try anything for 24 hrs.

Not applicable

Waiting the 24 hours worked! After I got off the phone with them I did receive an email that said “welcome to Spectrum Internet” or something to that effect. I do think that resetting my router to factory defaults and unplugging both the router and modem helped PRIOR to contacting support. After that I waited the 24 hours fully expecting it to fail. To my delight every device I had the spectrum app on now works!
Proven Sharer

@spongebobBe careful with your suggestions. If you change the modem's MAC ID to match your computer or router, you will have to re-register the Spectrum app and wait up to 24 hours before it will work again on your account.  The modem's MAC ID must match the one that Spectrum programs into their CMTS server.  That's why the Spectrum app can only work from your specific home connection, nowhere else.

Highlighted
Browser

The modem settings don't get changed though.

I thought the change on the router made them think you are using the original computer that was first settup and that's why it always worked for me and no 24 hour wait.
Proven Sharer

@spongebob wrote:

I thought the change on the router made them think you are using the original computer that was first settup and that's why it always worked for me and no 24 hour wait.

No, the internet provider cannot see the customer's router or computer connected to the modem's LAN port. The MAC cloning trick just lets you swap between a single computer and a router without resetting the modem to factory defaults.

Again, if you are using a Spectrum streaming app on your viewing device, then the MAC ID of a customer-purchased modem MUST match the MAC ID number you read off the label when you registered the modem with Spectrum.  If it's a loaned modem, they record the MAC ID at time of installation. 

Looking at the link you sent regarding cloning the MAC ID, You can play with your router MAC IDs all day long, but it's against federal law to change them on a modem.    The FCC assigns the first six characters of the MAC ID to FCC-approved modem manufacturers.  Editing them can screw up distribution of any future software security updates by the internet provider, potentially leaving your modem unprotected or bricked. 

Proven Sharer

@spongebob wrote:

No, the internet provider cannot see the customer's router or computer connected to the modem's LAN port. The MAC cloning trick just lets you swap between a single computer and a router without resetting the modem to factory defaults.

Again, if you are using a Spectrum streaming app on your viewing device, then the MAC ID of a customer-purchased modem MUST match the MAC ID number you read off the label when you registered the modem with Spectrum.  If it's a loaned modem, they record the MAC ID at time of installation. 

Looking at the link you sent regarding cloning the MAC ID, You can play with your router MAC IDs all day long, but it's against federal law to change them on a modem.    The FCC assigns the first six characters of the MAC ID to FCC-approved modem manufacturers.  Editing them can screw up distribution of any future software security updates by the internet provider, potentially leaving your modem unprotected or bricked.