Highlighted
Spectator

Spectrum App for Spectrum TV but other-than-Spectrum internet provider

Hello.  Thanks in advance for any attention and assistance.

I am trying to help my 96 yr old Grandmother with her Spectrum TV service.  She lives in an assisted living facility that has a bulk account through Spectrum for TV, however they are provided internet service from a differenet provider.

A few years ago, when tv went digital, their tvs stopped working until Spectrum came and installed DTA boxes for the many residents there.  That has been cumbersome for these residents.  The DTA remote they must use has 2 power buttons so they are not sure if both the tv and dta box are on or one if off...if the tv is left on, it glows at night even though during the day it is not obviously still on.  There are a lot of buttons with small print, also.

Anyway, I was hoping that a roku with the spectrum app (as I use at my house) would work.  I was told the facility had Spectrum internet, but after I failed to log on with the spectrum app, I learned they did not.  I think we are getting an error because we are coming through internet service and devices that are not her spectrum "home network".   Roku may sound more complicated, but it has fewer buttons than the dta remote and may offer the guide/programming info.

There was a forum posting titled "Re: Spectrum TV app DOESN'T work as advertised" which describes a "gateway" solution that could be provided in this situation.  It sounded like a device that Spectrum could flag as being a legit tv customer streaming for the spectrum app.  The posting was from a year ago...   I have talked to 9 people at Spectrum in the last week trying to work though this.  Since she doesn't even get a bill, I started not knowing anything about her account and services.

So, the question is...  Is there any chance that solution to allow them to receive just spectrum tv through another internet provider actually exists?   (or spectrum wifi filtered to spectrum tv traffic, etc?)  I keep hearing that she would actually have to purchase Spectrum internet also.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
Lead Moderator

Re: Spectrum App for Spectrum TV but other-than-Spectrum internet provider

Bulk accounts/Community solution accounts are handled differently than would a residential account. 

Does she have a login for the Spectrum TV product or have you been provided one

by the facility? 

Julia 

Spectator

Yes. I learned that her account was initially just labelled as "resident"...they assigned her name to her apartment's account. I did create a spectrum account for that. I tried that with the spectrum app on the roku. Roku was on wifi of the other provider.
Lead Moderator

If you will please private message us with her account information we can look into what can be done.    @Forums_Help

Thank you!

Julia 

Spectator

For anyone following this, I wanted to provide an update.

I am backtracking on my approach.  I was focused on trying to get the Roku with Spectrum app to work after being (incorrectly) told my grandmother was on spectrum internet as well as spectrum tv.  I am familiar with Roku at my house, so I thought that might be a solution.  It turns out the Roku with non-Spectrum internet is not possible in this situation.  It sounds like it is possible in some situations, but it is clearly an easier path to have both Spectrum TV and internet for the Spectrum app.

Julia suggested some remote controls that could help.  I ordered one that actually had 1 power button and was universal enough to handle the DTA box, but very few buttons overall.  I am not certain it will work yet, but it seems promising...for less than $10 on Amazon.  ("Time Warner Cisco HDA-IR2.1 Digital Transport Adapter (DTA) Remote Control UR2-DTA-TWC FOR HOTELS / MOTEL RECEIVERS")

I think in situations like my grandmothers (and the rest of the residents...and others in this scenario), Spectrum could have been more proactive about helping at the time all these DTA boxes got installed.  Maybe this very remote could have been provided at the time...it seems to be a TWC branded remote.

Thank you again for the assistance, Julia.