Not applicable

Roku picture quality

Anyone else have issues where every so often the picture quality when streaming via the Spectrum App on Roku just goes completly down hill?  Totally pixilated... sometimes the channel completely stops playing video... and then.. .without doing anything, it just comes back?  SOOOOOOOO frustrating !!!!!!  Can last from a few minutes to 30 min or so. Happens more in the evening than during the day, but still happens then some times as well.  I switched to Spectrum knowing that I could use the Roku devices to stream, and not have to pay for cable boxes on each TV.  Well, I'm getting ready to switch back because while the internet bandwidth is amazing, not being able to watch TV consistently without interuptions is just not worth it.

16 REPLIES 16
Observer

Re: Roku picture quality

what speeds do you have with spectrum. i was on the 100 down and i had the same problem as you as well as things like the guides took forever to load up
Newcomer

I have the same issue.  I have a roku tv and a roku device and it happens on both devices.  I have the 200MB down package and the app is still almost unusable.  It works perfectly on my cell phone and Samsung Smart TV.

Helper

Are you using an ethernet connected Roku or wifi?

If wifi, where in relation to the router is the Roku located? (same room, next room, different floor in the house, # of walls in between the two).

If wifi, is the Roku connected via 2.4 or 5 gHz channel?

Observer

It’s a Spectrum Issue.  The headend cannot handle the load of all the streaming that occurs during prime time or during sporting events.  The bandwidth is not the problem.  The engineers are reporting they are working on a solution but that must include the ability to handle all the people who are on at specific times (overloading the system).  Directv Now had same issue as more and more people signed up.  They had to rebuild their digital head end.

Helper

@DWcinday wrote:

It’s a Spectrum Issue.  The headend cannot handle the load of all the streaming that occurs during prime time or during sporting events.  The bandwidth is not the problem.  The engineers are reporting they are working on a solution but that must include the ability to handle all the people who are on at specific times (overloading the system).  Directv Now had same issue as more and more people signed up.  They had to rebuild their digital head end.

Everything you said is true...I just want to rule out anything within the home that could exacerbate the problem.

Newcomer

yes we have the same problems.  Spectrum needs to get this fixed.

IKC
Spectator

The app is crap - a simple compare watching the local NBC channel via the Spectrum app tuned to the channel against watching the same via the NBC app is simple proof of a p[oor qulaity video decoder in the app.

IKC
Spectator

Some observations thanks to the insight of the person who posted the "press up 5-6 times" tip to get the stats.  I did this and saw a horrendous 406 bitrate, thus explaining the poor picture although the menus etc from the app were fine. Looking at the local NBC live via their app had a great picture; same via the Spectrum app very poor. This is not a network issue, no other app has the same issue and Roku reported excellent connectivity and signal.

Wondering if perhaps there was a newer app version, I deleted and reinstalled and got the same 4.15.1 dated December 3rd 2018. But interesting when it came up on default channel 1 - Spectrums news channel - there was a great picture. Back to NBC and same again, great picture and the bit rate was up to over 4000 but subsequent tests averaged around the 3600 mark. Major improvement and a couple of checks later, still good. Flipped back to cable box for now until I am convinced - and load all apps needed.

Today I arced it up and not only was the picture crap again but worse and showing a bitrate of 211. Back and forth checking a few channels, rebooted Roku, even re associated network made no difference excpet to get up to around the 406 mark. Again, local NBC great on the NBC app. Out of interest, lets uninstall and reinstall app - and again same 4.15.1 and again a great picture with over 3600 bit rate. I'll keep poking at this but maybe this information is useful and of interest to Spectrum to perhaps get to the bottom of these issues that seem to be random but perhaps with a developing pattern.

Rookie

Same problem here. Trying to watch the National Championship game tonight on Spectrum App on Roku is miserable - pixelates ever few minutes or so. I switch over to the ESPN app on the same Roku box and it performs flawlessly in HD. I will probably be canceling Spectrum Choice since the quality is so poor.