Rookie

How come the Spectrum TV app for ROKU will not work on a non-spectrum internet, yet my laptop works?

I have a ROKU device at my 2nd home in western nc and am unable to successfully login as the app keeps re-prompting me for 'correct credentials'.

Using the same credentials I supplied on the ROKU app, I can successfully connect to the Spectrum TV app on my laptop or iphone at my 2nd home which is also not on the spectrum internet.  Why is this? How is this Spectrum TV anywhere on any device?

Also unfortunately I do not have a Samsung Smart TV, I have an LG. 

3 REPLIES 3
Sharer

Re: How come the Spectrum TV app for ROKU will not work on a non-spectrum internet, yet my laptop wo

not 100% sure, but it may be something to do with the Roku ecosystem.  Seems to me there was some wonkiness with geolocation in their OS or something a while back.

just an afterthought... is the remote house Roku bound to the same roku.com account used on the Roku's in your home market?  Might be some mismatch from the zip/region registered to the roku account or something?

Helper

Re: How come the Spectrum TV app for ROKU will not work on a non-spectrum internet, yet my laptop wo

Roku devices (like an Apple TV, Xbox, Samsung smart tv, or even a leased DVR) are considered  set top boxs (for purposes of the Spectrum app) intended for use in your home, on your home network, and at the location to which Spectrum services are subscribed.

Your phone, tablet, or laptop are considered mobile devices and the Spectrum app will have limited functionality but not everything as when connected to your home network.  You are able to access the individual network apps using your Spectrum credentials on any internet connection.

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

@rimshot62 wrote:

I have a ROKU device at my 2nd home in western nc and am unable to successfully login as the app keeps re-prompting me for 'correct credentials'.

Using the same credentials I supplied on the ROKU app, I can successfully connect to the Spectrum TV app on my laptop or iphone at my 2nd home which is also not on the spectrum internet.  Why is this? How is this Spectrum TV anywhere on any device?

Also unfortunately I do not have a Samsung Smart TV, I have an LG. 

The key word in your post is "SECOND HOME".  The Spectrum APP on Roku is not a method for the duplication of video service when NOT attached to the modem assigned to the account credentials.  If you thought you'd have your entire Spectrum line-up at your second home without paying for a second cable hook-up (video service), I am sorry to disappoint you.    (I learned this the hard way when sent away for business.  The home I was renting had Spectrum / TWC Internet, and I thought I could watch New York TV in Wisconsin.  The app on my Roku told me that it would only function on my home network.)

What you can make use of, are the third party apps for which Spectrum has a share agreement in place.   (i.e. - FX Now,  HGTV, etc.)  You can filter by device here: 

https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/tv-channel-apps

Be advised that not all channels will offer live linear feeds.

You may also consider cancelling your video serivce at your primary home and going with an over-the-top payTV service (SlingTV, YouTubeTV), which WILL travel with your from home to home.  Your Spectrum Video service is tied to the street address on the bill.