Highlighted

Guide causing re-boot

I can activate the App on my ROKU Stick and can watch the channel that comes up, but as soon as I open the Guide and try to change the channel the Stick freezes and re-boots...

None of the other Apps on my stick are having problems...

Have any of the solutions put foreward worked for anyone yet? Ive rebooted everything multiple times... uninstalled, re-installed....waited the time...nothing.

Any successes out there?

75 REPLIES 75
Newcomer

Poor quality picture on Roku with the Spectrum App

I looked at the Spectrum App on my Roku in my bedroom.  I was thinking I could remove the Spectrum DVR I have and save some $.  The picture quality on the App is poor.  It is not too bad on the local channels like CBS or NBC.  The cable channels like CNN or MSNBC is terrible!  I checked with Spectrum Technical Support.  They had me reset the modem and also remove the app and add it back.  It made no difference.  They told me the quality of the picture on their app should be the same as Hulu or Netflix.  It's not at all comparable.

Helper

Re: Poor quality picture on Roku with the Spectrum App

"Poor quality" is a subjective term. Can you elaborate on what makes it poor...compare to set top box...etc.? 

In my opinion, I have issues with live streaming of channels with a scroll at the bottom of the screen (CNN, ESPN, CNBC). To me the scroll always looks choppy instead of being a smooth scroll like the coax box equivalent. For me this is the case on both the Roku and Apple TV apps. 

Newcomer

We're experiencing the same issue as others that are using Roku and the Spectrum app.  In order to separate any possible questions related to Wi-Fi or DL speeds or Modem Signal Quality: I am using a wired ethernet connection to our Roku Ultra. Roku Ultra to LG OLED 65" UHDTV. I am using my own Arris Surfboard 32x8 modem (on list of approved TWC / Spectrum / Charter CableLabs certified modems), ASUS 802.11 b/g/n/ac 4x4 MU-MIMO access point. All devices are running the absolute latest FW / SW.  ALL other apps on the Roku produce excellent picture quality. Only channels through the Spectrum app seem to vary from near 1080i / 720p with minimal compression artifacts to something close to 240p or even 180p. Resetting the AP and CableModem does seem to "fix" the video quality for about 30 minutes and then things go back to having poor video quality. I have played around with various QoS settings inside the ASUS AP to see if that is an issue, but also doesn't seem to be the issue. Please let me know what else I can try to fix this issue.

Thanks,

Dave & Mona

Not applicable

I don’t have a fix, but wanted to let you know you are not alone. I have basically the same setup as you and my picture freezes often or distorts badly.
Not applicable

We have the same issue.  Have been using the spectrum app since last fall and it would happen occasionally but in the last week, it is constant!  We have ultimate speed 300 internet and every other app works perfectly.  We called in and rep said we were having outages with our internet, which we doubted, but said ok to a tech coming out.  He stayed 2 hours and found no problems with our service or house.

We are at our wits end....the app is totally unwatchable...and since we gave up our cable boxes to use the app, perhaps we will have to cut the cord altogether.

i would feel better is someone from spectrum would just admit there is a problem and it is being worked on but they just say it is a problem they are not aware of.

Observer

Just chiming in to say I have been experiencing the same issue on and off for the past couple of weeks.  I have several Rokus, and half the time when I start up the Spectrum app I get terrible picture quality.   It looks like a thumbnail video from the early 90s scaled up to the size of a HD picture - blurry video with terrible compression artifacts.

When this happens, I can switch to any of the other streaming apps I use -- Netflix, Prime Video, individual channel apps like Fox News, etc -- and they work flawlessly while the  Spectrum app looks like a garbled mess.  So it's not a modem issue and it's not an issue with my network.  Restarting the Spectrum app and even restarting the Roku has no effect.

Not applicable

strong troubleshooting right here.  I had spectrum installed lest sunday.  fresh cable pull up the street to the pole in front of my house then underground to my house.  all new gear.  brand new rokus.  one hardwired ethernet one wireless.  both have intermittent compression issues that I thought was me using too much bandwidth on too many devices.  I disconnected them one by one and thought it was my laptop as the picture returned to normal once I disconnected from the wireless.  that was a coincidence.  upon looking closer, both units bug out at the same time.  both units play other apps perfectly while spectrum looks chunky and blurry.  as another stated it looks like 240i video blown up to 1080.  It's gotta be the app.  I primarily watch cable news on them.

Rookie

I'm having the same issue... Very low quality picture. None of my other apps have this issue (ie Netflix, Amazon Prime, CBSN, Roku Channel, etc.) only the Spectrum app gives me problems. Plenty of bandwidth, plenty of wifi strength (one TV is less than 20 feet from the Spectrum modem). Rebooted everything multiple times, reinstalled the app multiple times. It's the app. Clearly there is an issue.
Rookie

I'm having the same issue... Very low quality picture. None of my other apps have this issue (ie Netflix, Amazon Prime, CBSN, Roku Channel, etc.) only the Spectrum app gives me problems. Plenty of bandwidth, plenty of wifi strength (one TV is less than 20 feet from the Spectrum modem). Rebooted everything multiple times, reinstalled the app multiple times. It's the app. Clearly there is an issue.