Spectator

Re: The problems with the Spectrum TV app should be a THE support priority

In that case, how about I add one that IS app related.

Recently the Spectrum app has been out and out CRASHING both of my Roku devices.

The crash will happen when a new stream (channel) is about to start, (just when I change channel)

The crash happenes on both devices independently and no other app crashes these devices so the only common denominator is the Spectrum app itself.

No matter WHAT network problem might arrise, the app SHOULD NEVER crash a device. It should handle an error more gracefully.

Remember this is 2 SEPARATE devices and NO OTHER APP has a problem. Just Spectrum.

Here are the devices...

FIRST DEVICE...

Model:               4210X - Roku 2
Software version:    9.1.0 build 4919-04
Spectrum TV version: 5.2 build 0

SECOND DEVICE...

Model:               8116X - Roku TV (TCL 32S327)
Software version:    9.1.2 build 4036-48
Spectrum TV version: 4.25 build 0

Guess that no "app problem, just network" thing doesnt really apply here hu?

Newcomer

Having the same problem with the app crashing the device. The family aggro is real.

This might just be the first time I've came across an app that actually crashes the OS and the device itself, forcing a reboot.

I use Macs with Homebrew, root and ROM Android phones, proficient with Debian, manage Windows SMB and NFS based SOHO networks, run Entware package manager on my router as a server, tinker with HTML, JavaScript, C++ and Java although I'm no expert.

I would still make sure an app doesn't crash a device during debugging or I wouldn't release it.

This is a big black eye for Spectrum regarding incompetence. I've dealt with problems since we started primarily using the app (no box in the house) and brushed them off. This might be the reason we leave Spectrum Choice.

I've been with Spectrum/TWC legacy since '99. Just throwing that out there.
Newcomer

Re: Spectrum App not working on Roku

I spoke with Tech Support yesterday, as I have been having the issue with the App crashing Roku since Friday on all 5 of my TVs (all with Roku Streaming Sticks).  I have rebooted my modem and router several times.   Uninstalled and reinstalled the app on each TV.   No joy.

The Support Tech admitted that there was an ongoing issue with Roku and the app, and that "engineers are working on it".   I asked if there was a place that I could go to in order to be notified when fixed.  Nope.   ETA?   None.  

So....an ongoing issue that they know is happening....no public notification of the issue (an e-mail would have been nice), some people call and they get the usual "have you tried rebooting your modem" stuff.  And no place to see when the problem is solved.  My tech's solution?   "Just keep trying and you'll know when it's fixed".

Nice customer service Spectrum.   

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

@MathewCNichols wrote:
I would still make sure an app doesn't crash a device during debugging or I wouldn't release it.

This is a big black eye for Spectrum regarding incompetence. I've dealt with problems since we started primarily using the app (no box in the house) and brushed them off. This might be the reason we leave Spectrum Choice.

Software engineers no longer perform the due diligence they once did.

I own two upright arcade games.  A Joust and a Sinistar.  The eintire code to run those games rests on eleven 4k PROMs.  44k.  Most emails exceed 44k.  This is coding for the logic, graphics, and display.   Back then, software engineers had to push the limit of the hardware to get every ounce of performance from it.  They had to code efficiently.  Hardware and RAM were very expensive.  That mantra carried on through the early 90's.

Once hardware became cheap, and was evolving at an ever increasing pace, the solution was not to code more efficiently, but to put stricter hardware requirements on the user.  Program sluggish?  It was better for the software company to increase the minimum amount of RAM than have the code streamlined use less.

Programmers should strive to author/code a simple, robust app, that is beta tested for months that runs on minimal hardware.  Don't make it complicated.  And forget appearances (graphics).   If the app works like an old Mack Truck, I don't care if it looks like an old Mack Truck.

Spectator

rmohrmann... your statement shown here in italics text cannot be under stated and is the focal point of this conversation "Remember this is 2 SEPARATE devices and NO OTHER APP has a problem. Just Spectrum".

As I pointed out in the original post ALL but one app on the Roku work flawlessly all the time on seven Roku devices and all seven indicate a signal strength of "Excellent". Every component of the system starting with the cable coming from the pole outside to the modem to the router and finally to the WiFi signals floating through the dwelling are operating perfectly yet only the Spectrum app is having problems.

Once all possibilities have been eliminated and you’re left with one… well we don’t need to be Spock to figure the logic of this one out, the app is the weak link.

Browser

Re: Spectrum App not working on Roku

I agree with you. They should have told us more than that. Once I found out about my issue I called and I was told the same thing. The "engineers" are looking into it and that's all i got.
When you reset your modem did you allow it 12-24 hours before trying again? I know when I reset mine it didn't go through at first. But, when I tried the next day everything worked just fine. So, if you if you try it again and maybe allow it 12-24 hours it may work. I hope that works for you.
Sharer

@rmohrmann wrote:

In that case, how about I add one that IS app related.

Recently the Spectrum app has been out and out CRASHING both of my Roku devices.

The crash will happen when a new stream (channel) is about to start, (just when I change channel)

The crash happenes on both devices independently and no other app crashes these devices so the only common denominator is the Spectrum app itself.

No matter WHAT network problem might arrise, the app SHOULD NEVER crash a device. It should handle an error more gracefully.

Remember this is 2 SEPARATE devices and NO OTHER APP has a problem. Just Spectrum.

Here are the devices...

FIRST DEVICE...

Model:               4210X - Roku 2
Software version:    9.1.0 build 4919-04
Spectrum TV version: 5.2 build 0

SECOND DEVICE...

Model:               8116X - Roku TV (TCL 32S327)
Software version:    9.1.2 build 4036-48
Spectrum TV version: 4.25 build 0

Guess that no "app problem, just network" thing doesnt really apply here hu?

May actually be running up against hardware based issues here.  We saw similar issues with PSVue  and DTVN on older models and embedded models (Roku TV's) as well.

The more recent app releases are much more demanding, and something like those 256 and 512mb dual core designs from circa 2015/2016 (like that 4210) just couldn't keep up.  People with the more recent 1GB models with ARM cores were just fine. 

The embedded designs in TV's are often prone to issues as well because of their designs... yes, that TV was released July,2018... but it is most likely not nearly as hardy a design as the external models released around that time (CNET lists it as having only dual core processor... could be the same Broadcom line that is in your 4210).

Sharer

@dstoffa wrote:

@MathewCNichols wrote:

Software engineers no longer perform the due diligence they once did.

I own two upright arcade games.  A Joust and a Sinistar.  The eintire code to run those games rests on eleven 4k PROMs.  44k.  Most emails exceed 44k.  This is coding for the logic, graphics, and display.   Back then, software engineers had to push the limit of the hardware to get every ounce of performance from it.  They had to code efficiently.  Hardware and RAM were very expensive.  That mantra carried on through the early 90's.

Once hardware became cheap, and was evolving at an ever increasing pace, the solution was not to code more efficiently, but to put stricter hardware requirements on the user.  Program sluggish?  It was better for the software company to increase the minimum amount of RAM than have the code streamlined use less.

Programmers should strive to author/code a simple, robust app, that is beta tested for months that runs on minimal hardware.  Don't make it complicated.  And forget appearances (graphics).   If the app works like an old Mack Truck, I don't care if it looks like an old Mack Truck.

It gets further compounded when the set top boxes get new designs each year, sometimes with a complete hardware overhaul... and the consumers are using 4 and 5 year old revisions that sometimes can't run the latest OS version even.  Keep in mind these are also on 4 or 5 different tiers at times... so the more budget oriented lines can quickly fall well behind the curve when it kicks in.

Roku has suffered from this problem for a while.  In an effort to try to compete with the improvements their competitors make to their OS/firmwares... you wind up with a lot of units in homes that can't keep up with the new demands placed on them.

Community Manager

@dparteka

We apologize for any poor experience.  While there have been intermittent known issues impacting the Spectrum TV app, the ones you describe are also consistent with signal issues.  I was able to locate your account based on your registration information and I can see that there are signal levels out range for the downstream RX levels.  These would require a service call from a field technician to address.  To set up a a service call, please contact us directly for assistance.

Please contact us at: 

Rookie

This is meant as a reply to James M, the community manager....

I have a similar issue to what was described by @dparteka on this thread.  I, too, use the Roku Ultra. I have not changed the locations of my Roku boxes or my TVs. I have not moved any of my Spectrum gear. I have not changed my service with Spectrum.  Other streaming services work just fine on my Roku. Yet I now consistently encounter problems with the Spectrum app on two Roku devices and two televisions. Since the app now loads differently,  I can only conclude that Spectrum has changed its app and it isn't working properly. 

The best solution I have found on my own is to open, say, Netflix, close it and go back to the Spectrum app. While this has worked in the short term, it is an unacceptable work around.

What to do? Please advise