Highlighted
Rookie

FireTV may overtake Roku

FireTV and Roku are nearly tied for highest market share. Just Google search "Amazon and Roku duopoly" Kind of strange to not have a Fire app, especially when it's already compatible with Android to some degree.

Curious to know why spectrum would deny 1/3rd of all streaming devices access to it's service. Especially now with PlayStation Vue closing shop.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2019/10/07/amazon-fire-tv-roku-duopoly-streaming/40243199/

https://www.parksassociates.com/blog/article/pr-07242019
3 REPLIES 3
Proven Sharer

Re: FireTV may overtake Roku

@Privy wrote:
FireTV and Roku are nearly tied for highest market share. Just Google search "Amazon and Roku duopoly" Kind of strange to not have a Fire app, especially when it's already compatible with Android to some degree.

Curious to know why spectrum would deny 1/3rd of all streaming devices access to it's service. Especially now with PlayStation Vue closing shop.

Do you think it might have something to do with the (pre-existing) contracts between Roku and Spectrum?  
Helper

I'm not really sure that current Vue customers would even consider Spectrum as an alternative anyway. They went to Vue to get away from their traditional cable tv provider. They will go to Hulu Live, Youtube TV, Sling, or one of the other streaming services.

Personally, I much prefer Roku because of their fairly neutral stance with everyone. Amazon gets in too many grudge matches with other content providers (Apple, Disney, etc) causing those apps to be unavailable or so buried in the UI in favor of their own content that it makes the Fire platform, to me, not worth it. If 50% or more of my viewing was via Prime then that could change the equation.

Rookie

I'm a refugee from Vue and would prefer to use Spectrum on FireTV. Since it's not available I've signed up with Fubo for now.

Disney plus and spectrum are the only major streaming apps not available on Fire at the moment.

I was a Roku user for over a year, but the 1gb of ram, tired old A53, limited voice functionality, lack of supported video formats/capable media player turned me away.

Regardless of any personal bias, it's incredible that spectrum has not released a streaming app on one of the two most popular streaming devices