Rookie

How to improve quality for live programming?

Trying out TV Choice (use Roku to play the live programming) and the picture quality is terrible. How can I improve it? It's impossible to watch sports. I also have Hulu Live and when I move between Spectrum TV Choice to Hulu Live for the same live programming, the Spectrum quality is super poor and the Hulu LIve is good.  I welcome suggestions to improving the picture quality before I cancel Spectrum. Thanks! 

5 REPLIES 5
Trusted Helper

Re: How to improve quality for live programming?

@ann3 wrote:

Trying out TV Choice (use Roku to play the live programming) and the picture quality is terrible. How can I improve it? It's impossible to watch sports. I also have Hulu Live and when I move between Spectrum TV Choice to Hulu Live for the same live programming, the Spectrum quality is super poor and the Hulu LIve is good.  I welcome suggestions to improving the picture quality before I cancel Spectrum. Thanks! 

Two suggestions:

Contact Spectrum for a signal and drop line test.  They need to check signal levels inside and outside the home,  If signals are poor, your services and picture quality will all be bad.  They will be checking the quality of your dropline and inside and outside wiring.  Splitters can also be a problem, and should be removed if you have them.

To get a proper signal reading avoid rebooting any Spectrum equipment for six hours prior to your service call.  Reboots will reset the signal error codes to zero, and if that happens, the tech will think that your signals are fine when they are not.

Secondly, you may also want to consider asking if Spectrum has any specials for box rentals.  Third-Party hardware, (Roku) is only provided with very limited knowledge of third-party devices by Spectrum techs.  Renting a box should help, but the signals have to be checked first.  Have the tech bring out a box and add that to your account when he comes out to do the signal test.  When that gets hooked up and activated to your account, I would say, Customer Care the next day, and see if they have any Cable TV Specials for you.  A good rep could give you something for a year.  But first thing is the signal and line check.

A box won't do anything if your signals and lines are bad.

Satch

Rookie

What does signal have to do with Choice? If Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, all stream in HD and 4k with no buffering and perfect picture, why wouldn't Choice do the same, with same Roku?

Also curious how you like Choice. And if you have Choice, can you add Essentials to it?
Rookie

Hi Satch,

Update: the TV Choice streaming quality mysteriously has improved (still not as good as live streaming Hulu but perfectly acceptable for watching live sports).

You suggested having Spectrum check the internet signal coming into my home. They did and said nothing is wrong with the signal. 

My technical knowledge is limited so I don't understand how one streaming app's quality for live TV could be different from another streaming app's quality for live TV at essentially the same time on the same viewing device. I'm interested in learning so if you have the answer, let me know.

But as I said, the quality has been better today and I'm crossing my fingers that it's a permanent improvement.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Best. ann3

Rookie

Hi tcat007,

That's exactly what I thought:  how can one streaming app's quality for live TV be different from another streaming app's quality for live TV at essentially the same time on the same viewing device? My common sense techie knowlege says it doesn't make sense, but perhaps common sense doesn't apply here. I don't know.

I'm on the fence with TVChoice (it's $27/month for me; no cloud DVR; no pausing, etc; 10 channels plus local plus some shopping channels).

I'm unsure if the quality will be consistent. I've had it only 2 weeks. And as I said to Satch: my quality is much better now and has been good enough to watch sports on thru Spectrum's TVChoice live tv streaming.  Unsure what caused the improvement. We did nothing. Still not as good as Hulu but good enough to watch live sports. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the quality stays high.

TVChoice just updated its app and it's more streamlined and similar to other apps. It's  better look and easier to choose Favorites from the Guide All Channels area. That's an improvement.

TVChoice, to my knowledge is the only streaming option from Spectrum in my area. I'll inquire about Essentials--thanks for letting me know about it! But it doesn't have any sports channels . . . Check if you can get Essentials plus TVChoice in your area. I don't know if you can or not. Seems to be a regional issue.

Best, ann3

Highlighted
Rookie

I decided to try YouTube TV for a month. Not really liking it's guide at all. No way to get program info on current shows in guide without going to your phone. Wife will never go for it.

Glad to see Spectrum looking better. Probably try it next month. Much nicer to have just the channels we watch in the guide. I called them about Essentials, can't have it with Choice, so to get what we want we'd need Choice and Philo. Pita to use 2 apps and 2 guides. Probably end up sticking with Dish.