Canceling Fox channels

Has anyone successfully been able to cancel the "mandatory" fox programs that are served?

5 REPLIES 5
Helper

Re: Canceling Fox channels

@whatchamacallit wrote:

Has anyone successfully been able to cancel the "mandatory" fox programs that are served?

Other than the local Fox network affiliate, what Fox programs are "mandatory" in the Spectrum Choice package?

Proven Sharer

@whatchamacallit wrote:

You cannot opt out of your local affilliates.  They are required to be carried on the Broadcast Basic Tier, and are bundled with any video package you subscribe to.

Of course, your local affilliate can opt out on you should your carrier not agree to carry them for their fair chunk of the "Broadcast TV surcharge"...

You cannot opt out of FX, FXX, FS1, Fox News Channel, Fox Business Channel, etc. if they are part of a tier to which you subscribe.  Carriage agreements between the content owner (in this case, News Corp) and your cable company make this impossible.  Same goes for any other media company's channels.  I don't watch Disney nor ESPN, but I cannot opt out of them without cancelling the tier, and thereby cancelling the channels I DO want.

With Spectrum Choice, outside the local affilliate, you don't need to subscribe to the Fox PayTV Network channels if you don't want to.  Why did you select them originally?

Contributor

I don't care for FOX programming either. I simply ignore the FOX affiliate (RF channel 8) in my area (northeastern Ohio, 30 miles east of Cleveland), although I still watch channel 8.2 which is Antenna TV. I also have a list of favorite channels set up for my Roku player; however, the FOX affiliate is not on that list, since I did not mark the channel as a favorite. 

The previous poster is correct. If you get your TV reception directly over a cable, there is absolutely no way you can physically delete stations you do not watch from said cable service. However, if you use a cable box or an Internet TV device, such as Roku,  there should be an option on the setup menu  that will allow you to set the box or device to skip undesired channels. Set this option to skip your local FOX affiliate, leaving the rest of your locals in your favorites list as they were when you created the list. This will eliminate the FOX affiliate from your favorites. However, the station will remain on the cable, since it is part of the cable package to which you subscribe.

Fox News and Fox Business News are awful and I don't want to support them in any way so I guess that means cancel the whole package. Fox should not be paid for their propoganda; to the extent that any of the fee goes to them, cancel.

Proven Sharer

@whatchamacallit wrote:

Fox News and Fox Business News are awful and I don't want to support them in any way so I guess that means cancel the whole package. Fox should not be paid for their propoganda; to the extent that any of the fee goes to them, cancel.

In that case, I recommend that you write to the owners of the channels you DO support and advise them you won't be watching them since they reside on the same tier as channels you do NOT support.  Also advise them that the only way you will watch their programming is if they permit their programming to be sold like HBO - a-la-carte.