Highlighted
Spectator

Device Protection for New York?

Are there any future plans to offer device protection coverage in New York State? 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Proven Sharer

Re: Device Protection for New York?

I can't think of anything specific to the state of New York from which you need to protect a "device."  Are you referring to some sort of optional insurance coverage for the gateway interface device that Spectrum includes in the monthly internet service charges (aka the modem-router-WiFi unit)?  I don't think they hold subscribers responsible for incidental damage to the gateway unit, and they do replace it at no cost if it cannot deliver internet service at the speed tier to which you subscribe. 

Highlighted
Seasoned Contributor

I don't have an answer, but I assume since it is posted under Spectrum Mobile he means protection for his phone.  

Highlighted
Spectator

Yes, I am talking about the Spectrum Mobile device protection option. Noted here as not available in NY: https://mobile.spectrum.com/support/article/360000573088/protection-plan-faqs
Seasoned Contributor

This kind of got me curious so I did a little looking. I did not come up with a definitive answer, but I did learn a few things.  Right now Spectrum is at war with the state of NY and also the IBEW (Electrical Workers Union) in NY. Spectrum also does not self insure the devices it sells. It uses a large insurance company. 

As everyone knows insurance companies are adverse to risk, pretty much any kind of risk. So my guess, and it is just a guess, is that Spectrum can't find an insurance company who will insure phones in NY considering all the turmoil going on there.