Valued Participant

Pixelation on most channels all the time

It seems to be a coincidence that every channel I watch, I experience pixelation that makes the program difficult to watch. Since establishing service, I've had two techs out (I'm assuming corporate techs if that makes a difference) to address issues with the guide on the 210 box (see my other post on performance issues with Spectrum 210 box). Both techs have checked signal levels inside and outside and have determined that everything is in order. 

With that being the case, is there some correlation between the guide issues I've experienced and the pixelation? I have DVR evidence of the pixelation, but I know that live pixelation would be better to show a tech. I'd like to have a better viewing experience. 

10 REPLIES 10
Trusted Helper

Re: Pixelation on most channels all the time

@cb_2367 wrote:

It seems to be a coincidence that every channel I watch, I experience pixelation that makes the program difficult to watch. Since establishing service, I've had two techs out (I'm assuming corporate techs if that makes a difference) to address issues with the guide on the 210 box (see my other post on performance issues with Spectrum 210 box). Both techs have checked signal levels inside and outside and have determined that everything is in order. 

With that being the case, is there some correlation between the guide issues I've experienced and the pixelation? I have DVR evidence of the pixelation, but I know that live pixelation would be better to show a tech. I'd like to have a better viewing experience. 

Greetings!

For the fastest escalation of this, log into Twitter and follow the @Ask Spectrum page.  Get a Twitter account.  Send a PM with your account information, box make and model, and a picture of the Spectrum Guide SHOWING the pixilation.  Ask for this to be escalated to a Technical Operations Supervisor for your area. (They can find out what the lower-level techs are missing here.)

Let them know that the first two techs found nothing and that you need an escalation ticket opened, because the issue happens all the time. DM your account information and phone number contact.  I would also request that signal capture monitoring be set up on your equipment for 30 days.  This will allow Spectrum to monitor your equipment for signal issues.  The World Boxes and new Spectrum Guide seem to be more sensititve to signal outputs than the older boxes and software.  Report back to us on the progress of this issue.

Satch

Helper

Pixelation is almost always a sign of signal problems...could be damaged coax, loose connections, too many splitters, failing amps, etc.

Can you describe your connection from as far back as you can from the main line? House or apartment building?

Valued Participant

Picture quality has actually improved on its own. I'll certainly keep in mind escalating to local tech support supervisor if it continues.

For the setup though, I have one continuous coax cable from the box to the wall. Each apartment is probably connected somehow by a splitter off the main line that runs out to a connection point on the outside of the building (this is just a guess as to how it's connected after I connect to wall coax Jack.
Browser

We've been having the same issue for months and had several techs out who replaced all our cable and our DVR 3 times! Still have the issue mostly with fast motion and lots of solid color. Last senior tech that was out told us that it was most likely macro-blocking, caused by just not enough signal strength/bandwith for the images being sent over the cable. All viewing on streaming services and dvd's is perfect, due to neither using the cable tv bandwith. Spectrum is horrible and if FIOS was available, we would switch in a heartbeat.

Observer

have you tried having them send signals to the box??? one rep over the phone told me that he would send me a signal grabber what ever that is??? i dunno if it's the same thing as sending signals to the box and trying to refresh the box i guess... though when they sent the signal grabber it seems to be working as i was having alot of motion blur and pixeliaztion in hi action scenes... cable companies need to move away from QAM channels and goto an IPTV on there set top boxes. it would take away the bandwith limitation and would allow them to offer high quality pictures without heavy compression. this is one reason there encouraging apple t.v.s and rokus on there service today they can even run 4k on them today!!! i am starting to suspect that charter spectrum is pushing towrds streaming boxes instead of set top boxes and using spectrum choice as an experiment... i also think that a streaming platform would be charters spectrums answer to ATSC 3.0 as well 

Helper

@cb_2367 wrote:
Picture quality has actually improved on its own. I'll certainly keep in mind escalating to local tech support supervisor if it continues.

For the setup though, I have one continuous coax cable from the box to the wall. Each apartment is probably connected somehow by a splitter off the main line that runs out to a connection point on the outside of the building (this is just a guess as to how it's connected after I connect to wall coax Jack.

Hopefully your issues are resolved, but just know that apartment buildings are notorious for poor signals because of several factors including the use of multiple splitters, multiple amps, and aging coax running through the walls that may be damaged. Replacing these items cost money which many apartment owners are not willing to spend.

Observer

i feel ya cb

when i singned up. not knowing how the wiring was in the building. my internets would just go down along with the phone the tv would break up and pixelize to the point i would just get a blank screen and the tv would look like it shut itself off LOL. i had the thechs living with me basicly for one year replacing splitters wiring in the wall boxes i had every box they have LOL. it was horrible!!! it was so bad they wernt charging me for service that's how irate i wasSmiley LOL i know satch said to post a picture on twitter. i would do a video of this happening and post it on twitter facebook youtubes!!!! that will get them moving when you say this is what you get when you signup for spectrum service!!!

Not applicable

Yes. Have the new Humax tv box which many new customers are getting. Pixelation is bad and looking at other posts and internet I am convinced this is due to incompatibility of the Humax firmware and Spectrum tv. Spectrum badly needs to update box firmwares and how they send signal to them.
Observer

buy a tivo you will be alot happier than with any spectrum box!!!