Browser

New TV poor quality picture when watching cable.

Let me start off by saying my privious TV was a 36" SuperSonic. It had a great picture quality when watching cable TV connected via HDMI cable. My new TV is a 43" TCL Roku. The picture quality is pretty poor when watching cable TV (HD channels). The cable box I have is Cisco Explorer 4642HD and only has 1080i resolution. Streaming videos and xbox have great picture quality on this TV.  Is 1080i the cause of poor quality picture?

11 REPLIES 11
Observer

Re: New TV poor quality picture when watching cable.

well 1080I is high DEF but it's not true high DEF like 1080P is wich never really took off with the exeception of blue rays!!! 480i is also considered high DEF but it looks like crap!!! also since the internets is the cable co's new commedity they have to compress all that bandwith wich is killing your t.v. i have a 77 inch sony oled that i paid an eye watering price for and i have the same issues. i will be heading back to satellite soon as the PQ is way better than cable. i would call em and have a vet tech come out to and do a signal check and to inspect the wiring and to change out the wiring in the walls along with the splitters and to inspect the tap. also to check for signal leakage and ingress. there is no charge for a service call

Highlighted
Browser

I have a 46" Samsung in the living room and from the same distance it looks much better when watching the same channels. I wonder if it's the TCL TV itself that is showing poor picture or if there is a problem with wiring leading upstairs to the box connected to TCL TV. The 4K video streaming is amazing though.

Helper

I would say more likely is that the picture settings may not be adjusted correctly for the input the cable box is connected.

Browser

Hmm. I messed around with the settings on TV and the Cable box and did not see any improvement. TV has the following settings:

HDR: ON
Picture mode: normal
Picture size: normal

Then it has color settings. That's about it as far as picture settings go for this TV. The cable box is set to 1080i and is set to stretch mode. Setting picture size to normal on the box makes the slightest improvement, but not enough for me to be satisfied.
Observer

can you swap the tv for something else there OP. it might be a bad set to
Observer

i have heard of people going from TCL sets to sammy sets. and they all said the PQ was better and that they could not belive what they were missning.. i am wondering if the OP can return the set and get something else

Observer

what is the model number it should have more than those steetings

Browser

The model is 43S425

Please take a look at this picture. This is my biggest gripe with this set.  Notice the horizontal lines? This is what I see on all non-HD channels. HD channels do not show those lines, but the HD channels are still not as good as they should be IMO.

lines

Observer

can you swap the set for another one??? i have a friend that has a 65 inch TCL model and the picture looks half way decent and not like that the set might be bad