Rookie

Letterboxing of some HD content and letterboxing and Pillers for all SD Channels for HD 210 Receiver

There was a thread or two from a year ago on this. But it seems no good solution.

I am a new user on over from Directv and the boxes there always seemlessly switched  SD channeles to display full screen on the tv and all HD Channels would fill up your entire HD television screen. I notice two issues with Spectrum and the new 210 Receiver (supposedly the newest model).

Some Hd content is letterboxed instead of talking up full screen. The same channel displays some content in full picutre HD and some movies are letterboxed with no way to remove the letterboxing.  For SD channeles its ofcourse not only letterboxed but also pillered which just gives you a relatively small postage looking 4;3 square on your hd tv. This is all a bit frustrating if you are used to (or prefer the picture to take up the entire tv).

Why doesnt the 210 adjust the aspect ratio to whatver your preference is for watching? If i mess with the settings I can get SD to display full screen but then it has unintended consequecnes and  messes up the guide and has effects on the HD channels as well without any satisfactory solution. There doesnt seem to be on button the 210's new remote that you can press to adjust the aspect ratio for a particular HD/SD channel or why the box doesnt do it automatically.

Moreover, on some HD moview chanels I dont understand why some content would be letterboxed at all? I had all these channels with Directv and no HD content would be letter boxed on any of them, they all natively took up the full screen. On the SD channels the box would automatically fill the entire screen as was my preference setting.

Is this a 210  limitation? I relaize the discussion that much depends on the signal that is broadcast from the provider of the content and the cable conmpany....but it seems a new sophisticated box  like the 210 (just like directv has) should be able to solve those limitations seamlessly? Doesnt quite makes sense...

Mucht thanks in advance...

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Sharer

Re: Letterboxing of some HD content and letterboxing and Pillers for all SD Channels for HD 210 Rece

Have you tried the settings for your TV? Get that sometimes with streaming services on the roku's, and can often adjust it with the TV settings.
Rookie

Re: Letterboxing of some HD content and letterboxing and Pillers for all SD Channels for HD 210 Rece

All 3 TV's i am using do the same thing mentioned. They are all set to HD 16:9...i don't see anything else I can do through the tv except change to 4:3 for everything. Dont think thats a solution

Helper

Automatic adjustment of the aspect ratio would definitely upset many people, like me, that prefer the original aspect ratios to be displayed without adjustments in most cases...If I'm watching a movie meant to be in 2.35:1 or 1.85:1,  I want it to show on my ~1.77:1 HDTV as is with letterboxing so as to not crop out part of the image. I also do not want an old 4:3 SD show stretched and distorted to fill the screen. 

I don't have the 210, but doesn't it have the aspect options for Zoom, Full, Normal, etc.?

Sharer

All my TV's have options for things like Auto, Zoom, Cinema, Full, etc. Even the 10 year old Dynex 720p I replaced last year had the options.
Rookie

It does (and even on the phone with techs to go through it as well as by myself) but the options offered then  either dont work correctly or dont do anything...one option does streches out the SD picture but also then effects the HD channels then as well, no to mention then effecting the Guide as it is then so streched out you can nagigate and see anything.  Its suppose to not effect the HD channel but it is. Setting the resolution manually to 480p also is a way to get the SD full screen, but who wants that as it renders the HD channels worthless.

As for your preferecnes, I completly understand...mine our the oppsite. Just most boxes for a long while let you set it up quite easily whatever your preferecnes where...mine or yours.

Helper

@RAIST5150 wrote:
All my TV's have options for things like Auto, Zoom, Cinema, Full, etc. Even the 10 year old Dynex 720p I replaced last year had the options.

I meant on the DVR, not the TV itself.

https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/hdtv-picture-formats/

Rookie

Yes, the 210 does to but doesnt quite work properly. Stretchinf the SD channels to fit for whatever reason stretches out and degrades the HD channels as well. You would have to turn zoom on and off each time for an SD or HD channel for it to render properly depending on which you are watching.
Sharer

Sounds like an issue with how the content is put on the wire... as I it isn't "sourced" to your box as true 1080, 720, or 480 pictures, but as letterboxed frames in the higher resolution feed.

The box may in fact be working properly... it is just not scaling the picture because it is actually receiving an HD/FHD stream with the SD content already letterboxed within it (as opposed to getting an SD stream and presenting that content in a letterbox format when it sends it to the TV).

If so, your only options are to either find an HD/FHD version of the feed on an alternate channel, OTA, or streaming app... or use the TV's Picture/Pixel function to scale the channel somewhat when you are watching it.
Rookie

I saw other users have had this issue and there was a discussion as to how the fees is coming in either from the provider of program or Spectrum itself. Iam aware of that but unsure why that would be an issue for content providers or Spectrum but nothing of the source for the sam content and chanels on Directv as i am used to...seems weird to me.