Highlighted
Sharer

Changing services on a legacy TWC account

I haven't been on the forums for a couple of years and in the interim, Spectrum has taken over TWC. I still have a legacy TWC account.... Internet and Starter TV.... and have no desire to replace it with a Spectrum account at the moment.  I want to remove Starter TV from my account but keep the TWC Internet service I have, as is.

Can this be done, without having to change my entire account over to a Spectrum package?  All I want to do is remove the Starter TV service, turn in the old digital box it came with, and just continue with my current Internet service.

13 REPLIES 13
Trusted Helper

Re: Changing services on a legacy TWC account

@glenvee wrote:

I haven't been on the forums for a couple of years and in the interim, Spectrum has taken over TWC. I still have a legacy TWC account.... Internet and Starter TV.... and have no desire to replace it with a Spectrum account at the moment.  I want to remove Starter TV from my account but keep the TWC Internet service I have, as is.

Can this be done, without having to change my entire account over to a Spectrum package?  All I want to do is remove the Starter TV service, turn in the old digital box it came with, and just continue with my current Internet service.

Hello,

No, any changes to the account would require a move to a Spectrum Package,  The only way you can keep existing TWC plans is Spectrum will swap out equipment without making changes to the account. but any changes would require a Spectrum plan.  TWC no longer exists in the billing systems except for those in grandfathered plans who do not make any account changes.

BUT, if you switch to Spectrum Internet, you will get faster Internet than what you got with TWC.  If your modem and/or router is really old, you won't, and would need to upgrade the Internet equipment.  Your Internet rates will be cheaper as well.  I would go to a Spectrum Store and ask about Internet plans.  If you turn in your TV equipment and are not interested in landline or mobile phone, a Spectrum Internet plan may be all you need.  They should be able to lock you in to a good price for a year.

Satch

Sharer

That's exactly what I don't want to do.  I don't want a package for a year, I just want to drop the TV service.  Sigh........

LGT
Contributor

I think what Satch means by lock you in for a year is that your rates would not go up for the first year. I don't believe Spectrum locks you in in the sense you have to keep your account for a full year.  I believe that like TWC you can cancel your Spectrum account anytime you want.  

I agree that you should go talk to a Spectrum rep and see your options. As said you will get much better internet speeds by switching to Spectrum, and possibly cheaper rates. I am a legacy TWC customer, but that is because if I switched I would lose a few TV channels I like or have to pay much more to get them.  If I was going to internet only I would certainly switch to Spectrum.  

I believe that everything I have stated is correct, but because things change constantly, I would go talk to a Spectrum rep and see what they have to offer. Also it is best to go in person to a Spectrum store. 

Proven Sharer

@glenvee wrote:

That's exactly what I don't want to do.  I don't want a package for a year, I just want to drop the TV service.  Sigh........

What legacy internet package from TWC are you currently subscribed to?  And what market are you in?

Sharer

I'm in Greensboro, NC 27403....  the Triad.  On the Spectrum bill it's called Extreme Internet, and the download speed is 60 Mbps, I think, though in reality it tests at nearly 70 Mbps.  Changing to a Spectrum account would give me 100 Mbps for the comparable service, though in reality there would be only a small change from what I have now. 

The monthly charge before taxes and fees for my Internet is supposed to be $69.99, but I have been getting a $20 discount for a couple of years due to issues with poor service and drops that resulted in the longest thread in the history of the TWC Internet Connectivity forum.  Someone at TWC Spectrum had put the discount on and then extended it.  So I pay $49.99 a month.

I'm pretty sure if I have to switch to Spectrum just to remove Starter TV, I'll lose the $20 discount on Internet, so I'll be paying $69.99 at that point.

Starter TV started out when I got it, at under $10 a month.  Since then, the price has risen multiple times, they added an always rising charge for a digital receiver box that is nothing more than a descrambler, and added the Broadcast TV charge (also always increasing), which charges me for over the air signals put through the cable (at worse resolution!).

So Starter TV is now $21 plus all those charges, bringing it to $42.49 a month to get what I already get over the air with an indoor antenna.

Dropping TV would save me $42.49, but if they increase my Internet by $20, that's half the savings gone.

Helper

You could lose any discount you may be receiving for having bundled services.

Sharer

It's not a bundle discount.  It's a discount in compensation for the troubles I had over a period of over a year and a half due to line maintenance problems.

Community Manager

@glenvee , 

Generally speaking,  any changes to your account will initiate the conversion from Legacy TWC to SPP (Spectrum Pricing Plan).  Your specific question would be best answered by a billing representative or by visiting a Spectrum Store.   

LGT
Contributor

Forgive me if I am confused, but using your own numbers it would seem like if you dropped TV and went to Spectrum internet you would save $22.49 a month while getting a 67% speed boost. You would lose TV but you don't want it anyway.  So in your unusual case (big discount because of some previous incidents) you would technically be paying more for internet, but if you changed you would pay less overall. It may be a principle thing, but in the big picture it does not make sense.  You refuse to save $22.49 because you want to save $42.49. 

Also as someone else stated the discount will end at some point. It was my understanding that most TWC discounts lasted for one or two years at most. Although I do have a question about that in general. Since I think the merger was more than two years ago why haven't all TWC  discounts ended ?  When that discount does end you will probably end up with both higher internet and TV costs. It might help to get ahead of it before you get that shock increase in the mail. 

It's your call, but as I said it leaves me a little confused.