Seasoned Contributor

serious question about modems avalbe localy please get the answers for me thnks

ok tomorow im gona go an see about a cable box and also i wanna know if they would have in stock here at my local twc store a good ipv6 modem thats fast i have a list here please find out witch of these they have in stock here

also need to know if twc will let me change the password on these ?

ARRIS SBG6900-AC   1st and maybe best choice

Linksys CM3024  2nd choice

Motorola MG7550 last choice

4 REPLIES 4
Expert

Re: serious question about modems avalbe localy please get the answers for me thnks

Nope, nope and nope...

Either a DG 1670/72 or a TC 8715/17  is whats rented out and you have no choiuce.

Do not get an all in one anyway, they are junk, period...

Helper

Re: serious question about modems avalbe localy please get the answers for me thnks

@MsRaye wrote:

Nope, nope and nope...

Either a DG 1670/72 or a TC 8715/17  is whats rented out and you have no choiuce.

Do not get an all in one anyway, they are junk, period...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

All in ones are junk, is a broad statement with nothing to back it up

The Motorola DG1672 is a fine modem/(if you have telephone package), if they issue

a DOCSIS 3 modem, you are good to go.

\

DG1672 has Beam Forming and I have tested the wifi against the Ubee, and older Arris modems  in my small building with three apartments, the 1672 has a higher level signal at extended range

The Arris modems are higher quality than Motorola(yes, they are the same company, but 

they are different animals).

By the way do not purcahse a modem, since New Charter will no longer be leasing modems,

you will be spending money when its not necessary.

Basically if given a choice,  you want the newest one they offer(so you will not be making any trips to the officie anytime soon, hopefully.

Expert

If you're already having wireless issues another all in one won't help much.

Your only choice  is to go wired or get a seperate decent hi powered router with external antenna's

It also keeps the cable co out of the router...

Seasoned Contributor

@jhf5 wrote:

The Arris modems are higher quality than Motorola(yes, they are the same company, but 

they are different animals).

By the way do not purcahse a modem, since New Charter will no longer be leasing modems,

you will be spending money when its not necessary.

Motorola is a brand that can be leased. The classic Motorola (as Motorola Solutions) continues but hasn't built cable modems etc. since the assets of  Motorola Home but not the name "Motorola" was sold by Google to Arris. The name as applied to cable modems etc. was leased to Arris for a few years and as of Jan 2016 is leased to Zoom Telephonics.  I would imagine that through all of this up to Zoom the design work was done by the entity formerly known as General Instruments.  So if you bought a Moto branded modem between 2000-2011 it was made by a division of Motorola and after than by a division of Arris until just recently.

A rather long-winded way of saying no, Motorola Surfboard by Arris and  Arris SURFboard are different labels on the same boxes.

By the way it's not clear that Charter will ever bundle the cost of a modem in the TWC footprint and if they start that they will be able to continue.  Obviously the modems aren't "free" and the FCC will be reviewing billing transparency with the aim of unifying the treatment of customer premises equipment (CPE) so modems are treated like set-top boxes.  Where the costs must be disclosed and there is the potential for after-market devices.  The FCC declined to accept petitions to make the TWC/BH purchase contingent on modem lease/purchase because the potential for harm was considered minor and they would be taking up the issue in the near future.  Unless they don't

Even if the legitimate lease fee is attractive one might simply prefer to purchase a modem because the event log is easier to extract in your favorite brand or you believe an Amazon review that says you'll get higher speed.