Seasoned Contributor

sb6183 and ip6 update and credit from twc ??

some here said to contact them and id get a credit  so whats the number to do that and what do i tell them ?

17 REPLIES 17
Spectrum Employee

Re: sb6183 and ip6 update and credit from twc ??

Hello, @DelMarPiP.  While we are still waiting on the firmware to be updated on that modem for it to be compatible with IPv6, a credit would not be issued because it is not compatible at this time.  If you are experiencing connection issues, we can certainly have those addressed and the account adjusted accordingly.  Feel free to private message the account information to us at this link if that is the case so we may further assist.

Thank you for your participation in the Forums!

Regards,
Jeremiah S.
TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Moderator - TWC Community Forums

Check out the community guidelines here
Participant

The point you are willfully missing is that the SB6183 was identified as TWC compatible at the time many of us bought it or we wouldn't have bought it. Indeed, IPV6 worked over mine when I bought it. Only later did TWC declare it wasn't compatible and disable IPV6 on it. At that, TWC has been promising to turn IPV6 over the SB6183 back on, with a firmware update reportedly available from Arris for six months or so, any month now for five months or so.

Observer

I'm in the same boat.  I'd have bought a different one otherwise.  You buy a modem that you, the end user cannot flash, and then TWC uses an outdated firmware that breaks IPv6.  Pathetic, TWC is terrible.

Rookie

Some MBA at TWC is thinking that first: no average joe knows what IPv6 is, and second: out of those only a few people have the 6183. Well guess what, those people are the most technically advanced, and those people are who their relatives turn to for advice, and those people have influence and make decisions at work.

I can't set something up for IPv6 at work, which, by the way is a requirement on many Government projects, and have it down for 6 months period. Our area is getting two competing fiber networks, so TWC's lost at least one small businses and one residential account because they are too lazy to push firmware.

Rookie

Same here...  as I type this reply ATT is digging a trench at the end of our street and laying their fiber network cable. I've been a loyal Time Warner customer for over 20 years but they continue to wear blinders and have completely ignored the occurring Paradigm Shift. (Hello TWC...  Cable TV is dying fast and Internet Service is the new normal!) The competition is getting stiff but TWC does almost nothing to keep their existing customers.

I only purchased the SB6183 "after" Time Warner listed it as an approved modem. Yesterday I managed to get through to second level support then got the song and dance the IPV6 update is not a TWC problem... that they are waiting for Arris to provide a firmware update. Yeah right!  

Participant

@oldtimer wrote:

I managed to get through to second level support then got the song and dance the IPV6 update is not a TWC problem... that they are waiting for Arris to provide a firmware update. Yeah right!  

It won't be a TWC problem the day I can go to the Arris site, download an update, and install it on my modem.

Participant

is anyone else with a non-working IPv6 SB6183 interested in getting together to pursue a a collective remedy for this situation?    

Jeremiah's message above is, for me, the final straw, and it not only misses the entire point, but it also evidences a cavalier attitude that suggests TWC has no intention of fixing anything, but instead is now only looking to cover their own tracks.  

Others who have responded in this and other threads on the issue clearly understand and have identified the real issue:  The SB6183  was  formerly  on the "approved" list of modems for IPv6 when many of us (including me) purchased their 6183's.  Otherwise, I (along with many others) would not have bought that particular model and instead would have opted for something else. 

The point is that TWC's own list of approved modems for IPv6 at the time of my purchase was the inducing factor for me, as well as many others,  in opting to make a significant purchase for hardware, on the premise that it would work as represented and provide full, working IPv6 capability. 

For many months after I purchased, my SB6183 did just that, and it provided working IPv6.  But now,  IPv6 is no longer working and it has not worked since last fall, which now that we are approaching the fall, is close to a year.   

For many months, several TWC folks (Phil, and now Jeremiah) have posted messages here and at DSLReports.com telling us that new firmware is "in the works" or is "undergoing testing" by TWC   

Well, frankly, I just don't believe them any longer.  I do not believe a new firmware will be issued by TWC for the Arris SB6183.   Ever.   I do not believe the SB6183 will ever have working IPv6 again from TWC.   I believe that Jeremiah's post is clear evidence that TWC believes they have covered their based by now claiming the SB6183 isn't on the "approved list" for IPv6, and therefore, no one should purchase that modem with the expectation that IPv6 will ever work on it.  If you do purchase an SB6183, well, caveat emptor

TWC has squandered our trust.  It has, IMHO, lied to us, and now says, "Oh well, read the list." 

Any thought that Charter would make the situation better also appears to just be a pipe dream. 

Valued Participant

Corporate promised HALF of what my modem cost me...but I have to come up with a reciept...I bought the **bleep** thing a year ago.

Seasoned Contributor

@JoeO wrote:

Corporate promised HALF of what my modem cost me...but I have to come up with a reciept...I bought the **bleep** thing a year ago.

Who specifically promised you some compensation?

Was it going to be a refund or a service credit?