Observer

ipv6 disabled for SB6183

It began last month.

In configuration file, http://192.168.100.1/RgCmConfiguration.asp, there's no longer ipv6 entry (34525, or 0x86DD in hex).

I've chatted with tens of representative, none of them ever had a clue, most of tech team member has no idea what they are talking about except clicking remote reset button, and one of them, Mr. Andre, was very offensive, insisting there's no issue and refuse to submit ticket.

As a contrary, comcast updated SB6183's firmware last year and no issue with ipv6.

8 REPLIES 8
Expert

Re: ipv6 disabled for SB6183

TWC created an issue for 6183's in their CMTS boxes at the head end and it appears the new FW that arris released for the 6183 did not fix bad Casa or Cadant CMTS firmware. ( go figure Robot Sad)

So TWC went and shut off IPv6.

If you need it, throw on a 6141 or a 6190, both have no present IPv6 issues other than all IPv6 that TWC has Long DNS route resolution compared to IPv4

Observer

Hi Ms. Raye. Thanks. I did a quick search in the forum and it seems this (or shall I say these) issue is known and acknowledged by at least some TWC employees. Unfortunately there's no timeframe to fix it and I just sold my spare 6141. As 6190, there are more issues.
We wait and see, if TWC is so lacking skill to fix tech issues, the best way is to change to another ISP.
Seasoned Contributor

@danei wrote:

It began last month.

In configuration file, http://192.168.100.1/RgCmConfiguration.asp, there's no longer ipv6 entry (34525, or 0x86DD in hex).

As a contrary, comcast updated SB6183's firmware last year and no issue with ipv6.

This has been discussed at some length here (in the IPv6 area) and on DSLReports.

TWC is the last major player to push the TCP option fix but we can hope that the combined IPv6 and malicious reboot fix will be timely compared to their competitors (i.e. Comcast is staging this fix out and hasn't pushed for the 6183 as of yesterday).  I hope the fact that the reboot fix is for multiple models prior to the 6190 is encouraging TWC to be careful.

Expert

There are 2 different issues, Comcast fixed one that their CMTS servers had, TWC does not use the same firmware and messed something up in the CMTS that caused issues in the 6183's only, Example, only TWC uses this firmware in the 6141's: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.14-SCM01-NOSH

When Arris came out with a 6141 HW ver 8 to replace the HW ver 7 it did not work

Remember, your modem worked correctly until TWC changed something on the CMTS.

As for the reboot issue , It isn't an issue, it can only be accessed by the customer and on the lan side of the Modem. It also doesn't tie up the modem for 30 minutes as that requires the modem to be disconnected physicly, Again, other fw versions might not require the physical disconnect, but TWC has it right.

Use the SB6183 Web Manager to view and monitor the configuration settings and operational status of your SB6183. You may be able to change some network configuration settings. 

TWC HAS ALL THOSE BLOCKED!
Note: Some of the SB6183 Web Manager configuration settings may be blocked and cannot be modified. This may be due to restrictions set up by your service provider to prevent unauthorized modifications to certain cable modem configuration parameters. TWC HAS THE RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULT COMMAND REQUIRE A 2ND CLICK TO CONFIRM THE OPERATION ON THE 6183.

You can do that with other modems, the cable co's use the same login and password....

What twc needs to fix is the flashing light...

and not raise the t3 and t4 timeout periods rather than fix the bad outside plant.

Seasoned Contributor

@MsRaye wrote:

Remember, your modem worked correctly until TWC changed something on the CMTS.

This is false.  The real issue has been posted here and elsewhere and TWC has acknowledged the real problem.

Seasoned Contributor

@MsRaye wrote:

TWC HAS THE RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULT COMMAND REQUIRE A 2ND CLICK TO CONFIRM THE OPERATION ON THE 6183.

I have no idea if TWC has changed this but it's not the problem.

Expert

That is the supposed security NON-issue that doesn't need correcting.

it has nothing to do with the second IPv6 issue that prompted TWC to turn off IPv6 in the 6183.

here's the bottom line, TWC leases 6141's so they're given priority. As for 6183-6180,6190, 6192, twc doesn't lease them and you're at their mercy for support and updates.

So if you need 16 channels, you're stuck leasing a box from TWC.

a 1670/72 or an 8715 /17

Seasoned Contributor

@MsRaye wrote:

That is the supposed security NON-issue ...

it has nothing to do with the second IPv6 issue that prompted TWC to turn off IPv6 in the 6183.

here's the bottom line, ..

You simply have no idea what's going on.  Please stop spreading misinformation.