Seasoned Contributor

Re: When will TWC/Charter/Spectrum release new firmware for the SB-6183 to enable IPV6?

Two points of clarification:

 


@jegesq wrote:

,....just look at the Event Log in your SB6183's interface (accessible via 192.169.100.1 ) and you will see that it is now TWC that is purposefully overriding the stock IPv6 implementation in the existing firmware (you will see the following entry:  "Overriding MDD IP initialization parameters; IP provisioning mode = IPv6").

 

So TWC has turned off IPv6 specifically for the SB6183.    

 

Frankly, I don't care if, as Bodosom says, it was turned off because of some security flaw that existed in the original firmware.


 Overriding MDD ... means the modem is being provisioned on an IPv6 network rather than IPv4.  This is, of course, ironic or just galling.  The 6183 (perhaps singularly) allows you to look at the configuration file the operator pushed to the modem.  There's a line in there that disables IPv6 on the customer side.

 

I said IPv6 was disabled because of a bug in the Arris IPv6 code.  The "OSPREY" update was delayed by TWC because of a generic security problem.  The same issues applied to all the carriers (despite the suggestion it was a TWC head-end error).  It' s just that everyone else has fixed it and moved on.  TWC does appear to have a bit of a reputation for tardy updates and I'm sure the Charter acquisition has had something to do with it.

 

This thread is a response to me marking my thread as resolved.  My direct question was "Can TWC fix this in a reasonable way?"  but certainly the sub-text of "what's taking so long" came up.  The collective posts by TWC about this issue over the months made it clear to me that they couldn't do a proper response (well they said keep waiting or get a new modem -- still true but not "proper") and that if or when the 6183 would be upgraded was not a technical decision.  So I marked it resolved because it wasn't going to go anywhere and the answer was plain if implicit.  I've moved on (from fretting about this and from the 6183).  I suggest everyone else do the same.  There are going to be far worse things to worry about courtesy of our new overlords.

Highlighted
Participant

Re: When will TWC/Charter/Spectrum release new firmware for the SB-6183 to enable IPV6?

Thanks for your thoughts and reply.   I appreciate you've chosen to move on, and as is your prerogative, you suggest others do too.   Frankly, I hadn't even paid attention to whether you had marked this thread as "solved" and wasn't aware that a forum user had the ability to do so.    Frankly, regardless of whether you believe your issue is "solved" or not,  I don't consider it to be and apparently neither do a lot of others who have posted long after you marked the thread "solved."   Again, my issue isn't solved, and with all due respect, I'm choosing not to "move on" at least not yet.  

 

So you'll excuse me if I continue my rant, at least until there is a decent and explicit explanation from TWC/Charter (or until I finally tire of asking).   If you don't care to read my posts or anyone else's, since your issue has been "solved" then by all means, simply ignore the rest of us, including any further posts from me.  I certainly won't be offended if you do not respond. 

 

At the risk of repeating, as I tried to make clear in my prior post from earlier today, it makes no difference (to me at least) WHY a new firmware/new configuration/new whatever hasn't yet been implemented and pushed out by TWC/Charter/Darkoverlords.   I've read what you've written, what the TWC "social media" honks have written, and what others have also written.   None of it, however, has been definitive, and nothing has actually been written by any official spokesperson from TWC with actual knowledge of the situation, at least as I read their responses.    Even you've conceded that at best, what's been said has only "implied" that TWC doesn't have any plans to fix the SB6183 IPv6 implementation issue.    

 

I do disagree with one of your statements.   You wrote " Overriding MDD ... means the modem is being provisioned on an IPv6 network rather than IPv4."   Actually, what it means is that TWC/Charter is overriding the standard IPv6 provisioning and turning it off.   The standard provisioning has both IPv4 and IPv6 turned on.   This little line of instruction from the Event Log indicates that the IPv6 capabilities of the SB6183's firmware are being overriden and turned off so that IPv6 isn't natively available.   So yeah,  TWC is actively turning off IPv6 on my SB6183, and presumably everyone else's SB6183.  

If it meant what you say it means, then  the line would read "Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv6".     In fact, two lines below the "overriding" of the IPv6 in my event log, I have a line which does provide "Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv4".      The upshot of both lines (i.e., honoring IPv4 and overriding IPv6) means that IPv6 has been disabled and the modem will only implement an IPv4 address structure.    So yeah, it means TWC is "overriding" the modem's firmware capability and TWC are turning IPv6 off, and doing so purposefully. 

 

Lastly, if as you say you've "moved on" from the SB6183, and purchase something else to replace it with, then why are you even responding to this thread any longer and why is it even of interest to you? 

 

 

 

 

Seasoned Contributor

Re: When will TWC/Charter/Spectrum release new firmware for the SB-6183 to enable IPV6?


@jegesq wrote:
If it meant what you say it means, then  the line would read "Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv6".     In fact, two lines below the "overriding" of the IPv6 in my event log, I have a line which does provide "Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv4".      The upshot of both lines (i.e., honoring IPv4 and overriding IPv6) means that IPv6 has been disabled and the modem will only implement an IPv4 address structure.    So yeah, it means TWC is "overriding" the modem's firmware capability and TWC are turning IPv6 off, and doing so purposefully. 

 

Lastly, if as you say you've "moved on" from the SB6183, and purchase something else to replace it with, then why are you even responding to this thread


I responeded because you said something about me that I felt was incorrect.

 

Regarding provisioning --

Log from my 6183:

Wed Feb 24 04:05:16 2016

 Notice (6) Overriding MDD IP initialization parameters; IP provisioning mode = IPv6
Wed Feb 24 04:04:34 2016

 Notice (6) Provisioning Mode Changed - Reinitialize MAC...
Time Not Established
 Notice (6) Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv4

 

I assume yours says something other than .... = IPv6.

 

Per DOCSIS 3.0 (or 2.0+IPv6) a CM will honor the MDD IP provisioning parameter unless a manangement message overrides the MDD.  That's what the three messages above mean.

Participant

Re: When will TWC/Charter/Spectrum release new firmware for the SB-6183 to enable IPV6?

Just so you know,  I think you misunderstand what "MDD" means.  

 

"MAC Domain Descriptor (MDD)

MDD messages are periodically transmitted on all Downstream Channel(s) of DOCSIS 3.0 CMTSs. The MDD message contains the Downstream Channel ID of the Primary Downstream Channel for the CMTS sending the MDD message.  The value of the MDD occurs when a cable modem locks onto a non-primary capable downstream channel, the cable modem will read the MDD and know immediately where to tune to in order to lock on to the Primary Downstream Channel.  The MDD can also be used for load balancing cable modems in a DOCSIS 3.0 network.  The MDD also contains additional information for the cable modem, such as available downstream channels, available upstream channels, upstream frequency range and more."

 

The "and more" information also contained therein, includes whether the CM should use IPv4, or IPv6, both, or whether those settings in firmware are being overriden.  

 

In the case of the 6183,  when you see the message "Overriding MDD IP initialization parameters" with respect to the IPv6 provisioning, this is telling you that the CMTS (or "cable modem termination system", i.e., the cable operator's hub) is overriding and telling the modem to do something other than what its firmware would otherwise have it do. 

 

In short, the message indicates that the CMTS has overriden the IPv6 provisioning and has turned it off. 

 

The message also informs that the CMTS has HONORED (and has not overriden) the IPv4 provisioning. 

 

So yes,  your event log also confirms that TWC/Charter has, as we all know,  turned off IPv6 on the SB6183.  

 

Seasoned Contributor

Re: When will TWC/Charter/Spectrum release new firmware for the SB-6183 to enable IPV6?


@jegesq wrote:

Just so you know,  I think you misunderstand what "MDD" means. 

....

In the case of the 6183,  when you see the message "Overriding MDD IP initialization parameters" with respect to the IPv6 provisioning, this is telling you that the CMTS (or "cable modem termination system", i.e., the cable operator's hub) is overriding and telling the modem to do something other than what its firmware would otherwise have it do. 

 

In short, the message indicates that the CMTS has overriden the IPv6 provisioning and has turned it off. 

 

The message also informs that the CMTS has HONORED (and has not overriden) the IPv4 provisioning. 

 

So yes,  your event log also confirms that TWC/Charter has, as we all know,  turned off IPv6 on the SB6183. 


You're wrong.  The simplest proof are the messages themselves.  Perhaps you're confused because they're in reverse time order.  First the CM says:

IP provisioning mode = IPv4

then it says:

IP provisioning mode = IPv6

It's hard to be clearer than than.  If you have a 6183 you can see this in the configuration file at

<http://192.168.100.1/RgCmConfiguration.asp>

if it hasn't been disabled.  Before and after examples here: <https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30698741->

If 1.3.6.1.2.1.69.1.6.1.0 (docsDevFilterLLCUnmatchedAction) is set to one (drop) any protocol not listed cannot transit a bridging CM.  If set to two (accept) any protocol listed cannot transit a bridging CM.  Transit meaning cross from the RF side to the ethernet side or vice versa.

Participant

Re: When will TWC/Charter/Spectrum release new firmware for the SB-6183 to enable IPV6?

Sheesh.  Did you even read the thread you cite?   Read Mackey's post.  TWC is blocking and overriding the IPv6 provisioning.   https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30698525-

Seasoned Contributor

Re: When will TWC/Charter/Spectrum release new firmware for the SB-6183 to enable IPV6?


@jegesq wrote:

Sheesh.  Did you even read the thread you cite?   Read Mackey's post.  TWC is blocking and overriding the IPv6 provisioning.   https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30698525-


Which part of  "IP provisioning mode = IPv6"  don't you understand?  Perhaps you should read the thread more carefully.  You could even PM Mackey  if you think he's saying anything that supports you.  (Hint -- he's already pointed out you're wrong.)

Participant

Re: When will TWC/Charter/Spectrum release new firmware for the SB-6183 to enable IPV6?

This thread has gone back and forth over why TWC disabled IPv6 over the SB6183. Now it's going back and forth about how they disabled it.

 

All that aside, what remains on-topic is that TWC/Spectrum has said nothing about a change to this situation since they reported, back on the 7th of July, 2016, that a firmware update had completed testing and was "awaiting final approval" before rollout could begin. Today it's 52 days and counting since that was posted. The question posed in the thread topic still stands unanswered.

Browser

Re: When will TWC/Charter/Spectrum release new firmware for the SB-6183 to enable IPV6?

I gave up and went to a tunnel from Hurricane Electric.  Figure no reason to buy a new modem. Spectrum will give me one for free soon.  

Seasoned Contributor

Re: When will TWC/Charter/Spectrum release new firmware for the SB-6183 to enable IPV6?


@dick_w wrote:

All that aside, what remains on-topic is that TWC/Spectrum has said nothing about a change to this situation since they reported, back on the 7th of July, 2016



Yesterday Jeremiah S. posted:

 

Currently, we have no new information about approval and release of the firmware update for that modem to enable IPv6 functionality. My apologies for any inconvenience.

 

in:

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/IPv6/i-was-ready-for-the-ipv6-transition-then-twc-charter-went-...

 

I suppose you could say that that isn't new but I think the answer is pretty clear.