Highlighted
Participant

Re: When will TWC/Charter/Spectrum release new firmware for the SB-6183 to enable IPV6?

From someone else's solved thread:

@MsRaye wrote:

… Charter cut all TWC upgrade funding off including … the IPv6 modem upgrade …

The 6183 is now an "unsupported" modem

That's the TWC fix... 

Anyone from TWC-Social Media Customer Care, up to and including @Phil_B care to comment on this?

Seasoned Contributor

Re: When will TWC/Charter/Spectrum release new firmware for the SB-6183 to enable IPV6?

@dick_w wrote:

Anyone from TWC-Social Media Customer Care, up to and including @Phil_B care to comment on this?

I haven't noticed that the TWC people are inclined to correct this nonsense.  Nearly every one of these posts blames a bad CMTS update for the problem that every other MSO has solved by updating CM firmware.  Why the poster has any credibility is beyond me.

Expert

your 6141 will work just fine at 50/5 which is as fast as what's available in HI as far as I know since max was never rolled out there..

You could get  that with a 4x4 modem provided that the assigned channels are adjacent.

What speed are you paying for?

If you really need IPv6, put the 6141 back on line and try it. But first, copy and paste the 6183's signal level page to benchmark the actual channel lineup you have there on your node.

Observer

MsRaye: This is unrelated to the topic of this thread completely.
Participant

@MsRaye wrote:

What speed are you paying for? 

You are wrong about what TWC rolled out in HI. (Where do you get all your information?)

I'm paying for 300/20, and IPv6, and usually geting the speed, sometimes considerably more depending on where I test to and time of day, etc. But not getting IPv6 after Oceanic/Time Warner Cable broke it on the SB6183.

And yet another week has passed and still all we hear from TWC/Charter/Spectrum continues to be crickets.

Browser

It may well be true that Spectrum's 6183 solution is to simply ignore it as eventually it will no longer exist as an issue.  The fact that apparently TWC was in the process of issuing a fix and then silence and official IPv6 NOT supported status as Charter tightened its control over TWC activities speaks volumes.

As I bought my 6183 just a tad over 2 years ago, it has more than paid for itself and while it aggrevates me that TWC unilaterally shut off IPv6 without so much as a heads up, I can't complain all that much.  

The future for ALL cable operators is DOCSIS 3.1 which is presently being deployed by several cable operators.  DOCSIS 3.0 (version on which MAXX is based) uses 6MHz channel aggregation to achieve high bandwidth and it has a solid record (I have been on DOCSIS 3.0 for over 3 years).  The problem with DOCSIS 3.0 is that is not an especially efficient utilizer of actual capacity in the cable infrastructure.  Hence, CableLabs developed DOCSIS 3.1 which moves away from fixed 6MHz channels to narrower 20-50KHz OFDM subcarriers that can be aggregated upto 200MHz wide.  OFDM allows the cable operator to deliver far wider bandwidth, both download and upload, within the existing cable infrastructure.   DOCSIS 3.1 can be deployed co-resident with DOCSIS 3.0 so cable operators are NOT forced to upgrade consumer modems wholesale. 

CableLabs has also cerified the first wave of consumer DOCSIS 3.1 modems which will be arriving in the coming months (ex  ARRIS SB8200).  

So, I while I am not happy with the way TWC/Spectrum handled the SB6183 issue, I am sitting tight with my 300/20 MAXX DOCSIS 3.0 service and will purchase a DOCSIS 3.1 modem when they become available as the my solution to loss of IPv6. 

Participant

@drtidmore wrote:

…eventually it will no longer exist as an issue. … TWC was in the process of issuing a fix and then silence…

So, I while I am not happy with the way TWC/Spectrum handled the SB6183 issue, I am sitting tight with my 300/20 MAXX DOCSIS 3.0 service and will purchase a DOCSIS 3.1 modem when they become available as the my solution to loss of IPv6. 

What will make this go away as an issue? When everybody who owns an SB6183 stops caring about not getting the IPv6 they are paying for, on the modem they bought that was, at the time, on the TWC IPv6 supported list? I don't see how adding DOCSIS 3.1 to the mix makes this issue go away. It's not like they are going to turn off MAXX in areas where they've deployed it and tell everybody paying for the MAXX-enabled bandwidth that they need to change modems or get their bandwidth dialed back. And if they started rolling this 3.1 stuff out tomorrow, which they won't, it will take them how long to roll it out to most markets? If history is a guide, it will be three years, minimum, before this 3.1 stuff gets here. By then, DOCSIS 4.0 will be "arriving in the coming months."

We don't know thay are not still in the process of fixing the SB6183 issues, though I agree the prospects look dimmer every day we see and hear them do and say nothing. If they are still in the process, then their process is too hard.

So when you get your approved DOCSIS 3.1 modem and they silently disable IPv6 on it, what then?

Browser

The reason it goes away with time is that those with 6183 modems (that include me) that need or want IPv6 will simply move to a supported modem.  When anyone buys a modem, there are NO guarantees that it will be supported indefinately even if initially it is supported.  Such is the risk of buying vs renting!  The advantages that DOCSIS 3.1 offers to the cable industry (forget what it brings to the end user) are significant and the industry IS moving to it as it is co-resident compatible with DOCSIS 3.0 and gives the cable operator far better utilization of thier existing cable infrastruture without wholesale replacement of anything, assuming that they are already on DOCSIS 3.0.   DOCSIS 3.1 modems will be fully compatible with DOCSIS 3.0 (32X8 aggregation) as well as full DOCSIS 3.1.  

Spectrum's decision to stop further MAXX rollout and stop all DOCSIS 3.0 specific enhancements is a sure signal that Spectrum has its eye on the immediate future which IS DOCSIS 3.1.  

Participant

@drtidmore wrote:

Spectrum's decision to stop further MAXX rollout and stop all DOCSIS 3.0 specific enhancements is a sure signal that Spectrum has its eye on the immediate future which IS DOCSIS 3.1.  

It would be nice if Spectrum would just have the common courtesy to explicitly tell SB6183 owners who want IPv6 to get stuffed, if that's really the decision they've made.

I have a hard time understanding how pushing a manufacturer's bug fix firmware update is some kind of epic investment on Spectrum's part, but maybe it is. Not to mention that the only intersection between an IPv6-specific firmware update for the SB6183 and MAXX vs.  DOCSIS 3.1 is that the SB6183 can do MAXX, apparently, and not DOCS 3.1. If I were running the SB6183 on a 50/5 plan, would IPv6 not be equally broken? Three or four years from now, when they are ready to roll out 3.1 here, will my SB6183 stop working--contrary to what you suggest when you say that 3.0 and 3.1 can operate on the same wire? Isn't "Maxx" just a marketing name for "we're going to sell you more bandwidth within DOCSIS 3.0 than we used to"?

I had CenturyLink 40/20 DSL before we moved here. They could suck too, but at least you could update the modem you owned yourself without them being in the loop. I'm starting to really understand why people hate the cable company. <sarcasm>It makes me feel so lucky to have AT&T satellite TV.</sarcasm>

Participant

Ok,  so it will "all go away...." if we wait long enough.  Yeah, everything currently in existence will eventually be replaced by something else.   And someday, you and I will both be dead and gone too. 

The point others and I have been making is that we NOW have SB6183's that we purchased based on the EXPRESS REPRESENTATION of TWC that it was an "approved device" that was fully capable of IPv6 .....AND that TWC had implemented working native, stateless IPv6 for the device. 

TWC then, without warning, pulled the rug out from under those of us who bought the SB6183's by disabling, and overriding the IPv6 implementation,....just look at the Event Log in your SB6183's interface (accessible via 192.169.100.1 ) and you will see that it is now TWC that is purposefully overriding the stock IPv6 implementation in the existing firmware (you will see the following entry:  "Overriding MDD IP initialization parameters; IP provisioning mode = IPv6").  

So TWC has turned off IPv6 specifically for the SB6183.    

Frankly, I don't care if, as Bodosom says, it was turned off because of some security flaw that existed in the original firmware.  I don't give a **bleep** if, as Ms. Raye says (which is much disputed everywhere) that it is some CMTS crap at the "headend" that was originally responsible.  None of that provides me or anyone else with an SB6183 with working IPv6.

All I care about is that whatever the cause,  TWC/CHARTER FIX THE  iPv6 SO THAT IT WORKS AGAIN. 

iT'S NOW BEEN AT LEAST 8 MONTHS SINCE TWC TURNED OFF IPv6  AND THEN PROMISED THAT A FIX WAS "COMING SOON" WITH NEW FIRMWARE DEVELOPED BY ARRIS, WHICH ONLY NEEDED TO BE "TESTED" BY THE TWC/CHARTER ENGINEERS. 

HEY, TWC:  EITHER TELL US IT'S NEVER GOING TO WORK AGAIN ON THE SB6183, OR FIX THE **bleep** THING SO THAT IT DOES WORK AS WAS REPRESENTED BY YOU WHEN MOST OF US MADE THE PURCHASE

Frankly, I am just so tired of listening to and reading the excuses and the justifications, mostly from people who claim to know the answers but don't have a real clue.   It's clear the "Social Media" TWC/Charter/Spectrum  (edited) who run this message forum don't know their (edited)  when it comes to what the technical folks and engineers are up to at TWC/Charter/Spectrum, and likewise, those who profess to be relying on "Phil B" (whoever he really is) or any of the other "Social Media" Moderators who have now popped up to sagely dispense platitudes and advice about "getting ready for the coming IPv6 wave" don't really seem to have a clue,  and evidently they don't really give a (edited) about what any of us with SB6183's have been asking and complaining about for close to a year now. 

Am I angry?  You bet.   Am I getting frustrated?   Yes, I'm beyond frustrated, I'm fed up. 

Is that going to fix my non-working IPv6 native stateless TWC implementation of IPv6 on my SB6183?  Hardly. 

But maybe making some noise will get someone's attention somewhere who actually knows something about what, if anything TWC /Charter is really going to do, if anything. 

Look, if TWC/Charter/Spectrum plans to do nothing, then why don't they just say so?  How tough is it to just be honest about what, if anything is happening.  And if nothing is going to be done, just say so. 

But saying nothing to your subscribers/users won't make the problem go away either.   It just makes things worse and erodes what little trust any of us had to begin with in cable internet providers who enjoy virtual (and by that I really mean "literal") monopolies. 

Believe me, if I could, I would switch to another provider, but in my area, TWC/Charter is, and has been the only game in town since back in the old Theta Cable days (which morphed into Century Cable, then became....well, eventually TWC took over all of the areas in Los Angeles that mattered).    Verizon FIOS isn't available.  AT&T's speeds suck.   There's no Google fiber, and satellite or microwave options suck too and are far more costly. 

So yeah, TWC/Charter/Spectrum has had me and my neighbors by the (edited) for years and this will probably continue into the foreseeable future in my lifetime. 

The thing that is most frustrating to me is that TWC (and its predecessors) have generally been very responsive in the past whenever I've called.  Always adjusted my account, worked with me to come up with creative subscription plans to lower monthly expenses.  Provided excellent technical service and responses.   I've been about as happy as any customer could have been over the years, and always recommended TWC and its predecessors to many of my friends who were thinking about lowering their bills by switching to Dish, or DirectTV or AT&T/Uverse, etc. 

Which is why, at least to me, this SB6183 situation with IPv6 is just so...well, "shocking" is not the right word....."galling"?  "infuriating"?  "annoying"?  "deceptive"?   Yes, all of those things, and worse. 

Ok,  I'll end the rant simply by saying that if TWC isn't going to ever provide working IPv6 on the SB6183, they ought to just say so, and do it now and put this issue to rest once and for all.  And if they are going to fix it "eventually" then they should tell us that as well.   Hey, I'm not even asking for a timeline at this point.  Just a simple "yes" or "no" will suffice.