Observer

Not getting IPv6 Address

I swapped out my Motorola SB6141, hardware version 8, with a Zoom 5345. When my look at the traffic counters on my router, I can now see that there is IPv6 traffic coming in, where before all the counters were zero.

It doesn't get a prefix with DHCP PD, though. Before I go messing with the router config too much, I decided to try plugging in a laptop to see if it would get an IPv6 address. I tried two laptops and neither one worked. They both got only IPv4 addresses.

I have an open case with TWCable.Help about it, but they insist that they only hand out either an IPv4 or IPv6 address, but not both. I don't think they understand that the modem configuration address is different than the address assigned to customer equipment.

I guess I'm just looking for confirmation from someone that has it working that I'm not crazy. I should be seeing both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses when I plug in a laptop, right?

What should my ipconfig/all  look like?

Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13
Spectrum Employee

Re: Not getting IPv6 Address

Sorry to hear about the IPv6 issues, @KingRamon0.  If you are still experiencing issues, please private message your account information to us at this link so we may further assist.

Thank you for your participation in the Forums!

Regards,
Jeremiah S.
TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Moderator - TWC Community Forums

Check out the community guidelines here
Seasoned Contributor

@KingRamon0 wrote:

I have an open case with TWCable.Help about it, but they insist that they only hand out either an IPv4 or IPv6 address, but not both.

This is not true.

@KingRamon0 wrote:

What should my ipconfig/all  look like?

That depends on the device.  On my laptop you open Network Preferences, select advanced and set IPv4 to DHCP and IPv6 to Automatic (which means DHCP, SLAAC or both).

On my gateway I select both DHCP and DHCP6 and set the PD size to 56.

Observer

I have the same settings. The only explaination that makes sense is that it's just not available yet. I was pretty sure I read it was available everywhere, though.

Seasoned Contributor

@KingRamon0 wrote:

I have the same settings. The only explaination that makes sense is that it's just not available yet. I was pretty sure I read it was available everywhere, though.

IPv6 has been available in 100%* of the residential footprint for some time.  If you monitor icmp6 traffic on your external interface you should see regular advertisements from the head-end like this:

13:59:50.092861 IP6 fe80::201:5cff:fe:0 > ff02::1: ICMP6, router advertisement, length 16
13:59:53.102799 IP6 fe80::201:5cff:fe:0 > ff02::1: ICMP6, router advertisement, length 16

If don't see router advertisements (RA) and you're not using an SB6183 or new SB6141  you should open a ticket per the second post.

*Despite TWC position on this there are reports of a couple of service areas where IPv6 has not been provisioned.

Highlighted
Participant

@bodosom wrote:

If don't see router advertisements (RA) and you're not using an SB6183 or new SB6141  you should open a ticket per the second post.

Did they break IPv6 on "new" SB6141s as well?

Seasoned Contributor

My understanding per PhilB is that the 6141 version 8 hardware has an issue with IPv6.

Observer

IPv6 has been available in 100%* of the residential footprint for some time. 

My coworker's father works for TWC and got in touch with a Technical Supervisor. His response was that some head-ends in the area are not scheduled to get IPv6 until next year. He is checking on the one I'm connected on to see what the plans are.

I did do a packet capture and did not see any RA. I'm opening a ticket just the same, but it seems like information just doesn't get communicated properly among TWC employees.

Observer

I sent my information to open a case and told them I have a Zoom 5345 modem. They gave me this response:

Thank you for that information @KingRamon0, After looking into the device you have it does support IPv6 however the device you are using is not a supported modem/router from our list that can be found at: https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/ipv6.html.

If you follow the links, the zoom 5345 is clearly listed under "Download speeds up to 100Mbps" and there is also this document, which was updated just a couple weeks ago, that also lists it: https://www.timewarnercable.com/content/dam/residential/pdfs/support/internet/twc-compatible-modems....

I told them this, of course, but I just needed to vent my frustration a little.

Observer

@bodosom wrote:

If you monitor icmp6 traffic on your external interface you should see regular advertisements from the head-end like this:

13:59:50.092861 IP6 fe80::201:5cff:fe:0 > ff02::1: ICMP6, router advertisement, length 16
13:59:53.102799 IP6 fe80::201:5cff:fe:0 > ff02::1: ICMP6, router advertisement, length 16

I am seeing router advertisements. But my laptop still doesn't get a real IPv6 address, other than the Link-Local address. I can't ping ipv6.google.com.

I get this:

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : earthlink.net
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 54-53-ED-34-F4-04
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e87d:c1f:7e6a:69c6%7(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 24.235.73.245(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.192
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 11:11:35 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, September 7, 2016 12:11:35 AM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::201:5cff:fe8b:dc46%7
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 142.254.217.25
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 106189805
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1E-B0-9E-99-54-53-ED-34-F4-04
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 207.69.188.186
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

I can ping the IPv6 default gateway, but nothing else.