Spectator

No IPv6 address?

Hi all,

I recently decided to dive into IPv6, but I haven't been able to get an IPv6 address from Time Warner Cable. I'm currently working around this by using an he.net tunnel, but I would like to get native IPv6 if I can. I called customer support, and they told me everyone gets either an IPv4 address or an IPv6 address, but not both. I see three possibilities for why I'm not getting IPv6:

1. The customer service rep was right, and I can't get an IPv6 address until they run out of IPv4 addresses.
  2. My modem, a DCM-301, doesn't support IPv6 (though the spec sheet clearly says it does.)
  3. IPv6 isn't supported in my area yet.

Anyone have any thoughts?

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Participant

Re: No IPv6 address?

My thoughts:

1) Answer you got is typical ignorant CS guessing. Until TWC broke IPv6 on the SB6183s, I was happily getting both. It's called Dual Stack. Since there's no shortage of IPv6 addresses, there's no reason not to give away both. There may come a time when they give you an IPv6 and not an IPv4, but, for U.S. customers of large U.S. I.S.P.s, that time is probably not near since they've hoarded such big blocks of IPv4 addresses,

2) It's on the "compatible modems" list with no note for "Not IPv6 compatible" so it should work,

3) What's your area? I've been led to understand, from this forum, that TWC supports dual stack in all their services ares, but there may be minor exceptions, so anybody who could answer that would need to know what area you are asking about.

You may just need to play the CS Lotto until you get somebody who knows more about IPv6.

Spectator

1. Yeah, that was my suspicion. With that in mind, I'll try "CS lotto" and see if I have more luck.
  2. Yes, I checked this before and found the same thing. My only other thought is that maybe the modem needs a firmware upgrade, though that doesn't seem likely.
  3. I live in Scotia, NY. My ZIP code is 12302.
Spectator

Alright, quick update. I called TWC customer service again and fought my way through Tier 1 and Tier 2 support. I got all the way up to Tier 3 with a local representative in my area. He told me that I'm doing everything correctly on my end, and that he looks at modems all day long and doesn't see many IPv6 addresses in my area. He's going to call me back tomorrow with a plan.

Seasoned Contributor

@kyleedwardsny wrote:

Alright, quick update. I called TWC customer service again and fought my way through Tier 1 and Tier 2 support. I got all the way up to Tier 3 with a local representative in my area. He told me that I'm doing everything correctly on my end, and that he looks at modems all day long and doesn't see many IPv6 addresses in my area. He's going to call me back tomorrow with a plan.

[To quote me from a similar thread]

IPv6 has been available in 100%* of the residential footprint for some time.  If you monitor icmp6 traffic on your external interface you should see regular advertisements from the head-end like this:

13:59:50.092861 IP6 fe80::201:5cff:fe:0 > ff02::1: ICMP6, router advertisement, length 16
13:59:53.102799 IP6 fe80::201:5cff:fe:0 > ff02::1: ICMP6, router advertisement, length 16

If don't see router advertisements (RA) (and  probably other icmp6 traffic) and you're not using an SB6183 or new SB6141  then there's a provisioning error.

*Despite TWC position on this there are reports of a couple of service areas where IPv6 has not been provisioned.

Spectator

Alright. Customer service got back to me earlier today. They told me that their marketing department lied "was overzealous" about having IPv6 everywhere.

As a last resort, I did try connecting my computer directly to the modem and running Wireshark with an IPv6-only filter, just like you suggested. I only saw one other IPv6 device on the network, which I suspect was the modem itself. I wasn't able to do anything useful with it.

I didn't want to admit it, but I've come to the conclusion that TWC simply doesn't yet have IPv6 in my area. I guess they just can't keep up with cutting-edge 20-year-old technology. I will wait for them to catch up with the 21st century, and in the meantime, I can use an he.net tunnel if I need to do anything IPv6-related. Thanks for your help everyone.

Oh, and thanks a bunch to Dylan, the CS representative. You were very helpful and courteous, and none of this was your fault. I don't resent you one bit. I was glad to talk to someone who actually knew what they were talking about.

Seasoned Contributor

@kyleedwardsny wrote:

Alright. Customer service got back to me earlier today. They told me that their marketing department lied "was overzealous" about having IPv6 everywhere.

As a last resort, I did try connecting my computer directly to the modem and running Wireshark with an IPv6-only filter, just like you suggested. I only saw one other IPv6 device on the network, which I suspect was the modem itself. I wasn't able to do anything useful with it.

I didn't want to admit it, but I've come to the conclusion that TWC simply doesn't yet have IPv6 in my area. 

You can't see the modem because it's being a bridge except via the  httpd  at 100.1

What at traffic did you see and from what address?

Did you open a direct support ticket here?