Newcomer

IPv6 and Google services

I use a calendar app on my Android phone called Calengoo. I found that after I joined Spectrum, Calengoo would time out before successfully syncing with my Google Calendar (I have to sync with the Android calendar instead). I also noticed that apps take a long time to start downloading in Google Play (they eventually do, but it takes 30-35 seconds to start). The developer of Calengoo had me run some tests, and the problem, he said, is this:  "So your Wi-Fi returns IPv6 addresses instead of IPv4 addresses, but the IPv6 connection does not work. So we should try a fallback to IPv4. " He said I need to report to Spectrum that there's a problem with IPv6. I think the chances of getting someone with Spectrum on the phone with the expertise to deal with this are slim to none, so I'm going to try to disable IP6v. Will any problems result? Is there another way to deal with this?

4 REPLIES 4
Sharer

Re: IPv6 and Google services

Haven't seen any Spectrum v6 public IP's yet, only v4 (at least not in my market).

I mostly use the internet for gaming anyway, so have v6 disabled on the router (most games still use v4 addresses).
Proven Sharer

I concur - customers should use Spectrum's IPv4 dual mode DNS service and disable IPv6 in their home LAN routers.  Those users aren't complaining about numerous apps recently appearing that don't perform well when running on a mixed (IPv4+IPv6) network.

Browser

Now wait, I am having trouble using the dual mode DNS, its like windows flip flops from ipv4 to ipv6 so often that i loose connectivity due to the roll over, I'd just disabled ipv6 for now, until ipv4 is deprecated and we are using only strict ipv6, i cant have it roll over all the time between ipv4 and 6
Highlighted
Proven Sharer

And THAT is why we suggest you disable IPv6 in your router, and also on your computer's network port if possible.  That way nothing leaves your home as IPv6 and no swiching should be taking place.