Newcomer

wireless network is dropping my printer

I am having a problem keeping my wireless printer active on the wifi network. When i turn on the printer, my Macs can connect to it and print with no problems. If I printer at regular intervals (like when working from home), it will print all day. Once I let the printer sit idle for an extended time, it seems the network drops it and i cannot connect to the printer. if I power off and on the printer, or the router, it reconnects and works. I've swapped the printer (HP and Epson) and it happens on both printers. I'm using a Ubee AWG gateway. Thoughts?

10 REPLIES 10
Expert

Re: wireless network is dropping my printer

setup your network properly, put it on a static ip.

set the routers DHCP start for 192.168.0.100 and put the printer on 192.168.0.99

Newcomer

thansk for the quick response. The router is set-up with a DHCP range from 002 to 254 (that is what is was set up to when I logged in) so that should allow 253 devices.  I've set to the printer up as a static IP using .98

I've confirmed in the router, that .98 is active and static. 

That should work?

Expert

These routedrs are all wrong, the .2 to .11 should never be used as some devices have issues,, apples interpret a wrong user class on them.

you should never set a static in the DHCP range either.  You dont need more than a few dhcp IP's and the entire range is assigned.

See if my suggestion works.

Newcomer

Thank you for the help but its still not working.

i changed the DHCP range on the router to start at 192.168.0.100 

On the printer, its set to a static ip address at 192.168.0.098

when i attempted to print this morning i still received the "cannot connect to the printer" error. its as if my MAC or any device cannot wake the printer out of idle mode. and its happening on two different wireless printers.

Expert

192.168.0.098 is not valid. It must be 192.168.0.98

Next, delete and reinstall the printer in your computer

Newcomer

sorry,  that was a typo. it is already 192.168.0.98

deleted and reinstalled printer drivers and software. hopefully that will work.

Expert

Last possibility: Do you have the wireless channels locked or are they scanning?

That can be an issue if they're hopping around, you need to use an ethernet connection.

Newcomer

I am having a similar problem with IP cameras dropping off network with Ubee DW32 all in one. They are still pingable from the Diagnostics panel but NOT from any other network device, ping reports path cannot be found. 

I was wondering if MsRaye could please clarify what was meant  by "locking the wifi channel" ? My guess is this referring to the Radio channel setting = Auto; but I would like confirmation before changing.

Thanks.

Proven Sharer

@BigJTC -
Your guess was correct. "ASUTO" forces the WiFi radios to scan for a completely unused channel. Until the radio for each band finds one (or you manually assign one), you'll have no idea what channel the WiFi is transmitting on, and neither will your printer.

On 2.4 GHz the typical channels are 1, 6, or 11. Alternates are usually 3, 4, 8, or 9. On 5 GHz there are many available and the radio usually can find a clean one, which you should then manually enter.

But you likely have a bigger problem with your cameras: TWC does not support port forwarding on any of their leased modems. In order to configure your local network for port forwarding, you ave to buy your own router and have TWC set your existing leased modem for BRIDGING.