Highlighted
Not applicable

technicolor router drops printer connection for mac book pro

NEW HP 3830 PRINTER will not stay connected to router. changed channel settings, disabled macfiltering, authen wpa2, nothing works,HP know there is an issue with this router, Spectrum won't swap out as long as power is good. I am tempted to buy router any suggestions ?

8 REPLIES 8
Helper

Re: technicolor router drops printer connection for mac book pro

Which Technicolor router do you have? Try assigning the printer a static IP.

Contributor

I had the same issue with my HP Officejet 6500A Plus wifi printer and I assigned it a reserved IP  and it solved the issue. 

Sharer

Just to rule it out, is the printer in a low power state when it drops?
Proven Sharer

If this new HP printer model is like many of its predecessors, it releases the router/WiFi IP assignment when it 'times out' and goes to sleep.  However, it only initiates the request for a new WiFi IP address as part of a complete power-on cycle, but not from a 'snooze' wake-up.  Assigning a static IP to the printer and verifying that the router's DHCP lease time is set to longer than 24 hours should do the trick. 

Remember that any fixed IP MUST be outside the router's window of DHCP address assignments.  We usually suggest assigning all static addressses used on your LAN subnet in the range from 11 to 49 and starting DHCP at 50.  Some routers rented from Spectrum only allow 14 or so DHCP address connections at one time.

Contributor

could not have said it better. There is of course a difference between reserving an IP within your dhcp IP pool and a static IP which is outside the pool. My router has the ability to reserve an Ip within the pool.
Not applicable

HP has been trying to resolve this problem with no luck. I have been overwhelmed with the support from HP, even the printer still loses connection. I am exchanging the router with  spectrum and see if that works

Helper

@maswin wrote:

HP has been trying to resolve this problem with no luck. I have been overwhelmed with the support from HP, even the printer still loses connection. I am exchanging the router with  spectrum and see if that works

Did you assign the printer a static IP?

Not applicable

I called HP after installing a new spectrum router and modem. Printer would not connect again. HP tech support found problem right away -  I have spectrum macafee and apple firewalls. Once she disconnected the spectrum firewall the printing is working. All this after hours with tech support from both spectrum and HP. Every tech has different solutions  and I am a hppy camper