Highlighted
Not applicable

problem when changing LAN IP address on TC8715D moden/router

Ive changed the LAN Ip address on my leased TC8715D router, from the default 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 because I have a NSD that wont see the 192.168.0.1 as a valid IP address.

So when I change the IP address to 192.168.1.1  I was unable to get any of my Wifi conected devices to connect to the internet but I was able to connect to the modem/router and se the NDS on the network.
I wasted some time to see what the TWC/Spectrum helpdesk could shed some light on but other than the usual, check the conections and unplug it and plug it back in bolix (that I had already been through before I called) they had no other help than to send out a Tech in a couple of days.

The modem shows that it is connected to the internet and TWC/Spectrum can see the router none of my deviceds can get beyond the router.
Ive looked for a DNS setting on the router to no avail.
Ive also looked through some of the forums but nothing so far.

8 REPLIES 8
Proven Sharer

Re: problem when changing LAN IP address on TC8715D moden/router

@USKiwi wrote:

Ive changed the LAN Ip address on my leased TC8715D router, from the default 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 because I have a NSD that wont see the 192.168.0.1 as a valid IP address.

So when I change the IP address to 192.168.1.1  I was unable to get any of my Wifi conected devices to connect to the internet but I was able to connect to the modem/router and se the NDS on the network.
I wasted some time to see what the TWC/Spectrum helpdesk could shed some light on but other than the usual, check the conections and unplug it and plug it back in bolix (that I had already been through before I called) they had no other help than to send out a Tech in a couple of days.

The modem shows that it is connected to the internet and TWC/Spectrum can see the router none of my deviceds can get beyond the router.
Ive looked for a DNS setting on the router to no avail.
Ive also looked through some of the forums but nothing so far.

On a leased all-in-1 gateway the user does not have options to change the LAN IP address or provide their own DNS.  The subnet will be forced back to the 192.168.1 standard value on any restart or reboot.  You need to use TWC's DNS at 209.18.47.61 & 62, in order to route your traffic through TWC's transport and IXP out to the external web.  However, you can adjust the DHCP start settings on default subnet 192.168.1.nnn 

Some routers and other devices from Apple do not work properly with single decimal digits as the last octet.  Therefore we suggest setting DHCP to start at 100, with static addresses assigned as 99 and below.  Older Motorola-Arris modems and combo units usually start assigning DHCP at 11 and go up to 43, limited to 32 total device addresses.  Your NSD should allow you to program a static address within either of those plans; if not then provide us with the make and model so that we can dig deeper for a workaround.

Expert

You need to change 2 things... The gateway and the DHCP start.

They  may remain stable until TWC sends the device a firmware update or resets it.

Buy a real modem and seperate router , only way to keep the cable co out of the router.

Not applicable

Thank you Karl Beckman. That confirms what I thought The issue might have been. The NSD (a toshiba Canvio) is set to a static IP of 192.168.1.65 as it is a shared drive on the network. I tried to change it to 192.168.0.65 and it would not accept that as a valid IP because of the 0 in it. I haven't had any issues with the DHCP server.
I think I will be buying a new Wi-Fi router tonight.
Never did like using the company equipment to host a network.
Not applicable

Looked at the DHCP server and it wasnot an issue.
They it accepted the new IP and auto changed to reflect.
All of my devices could communicate with the router but none of them could access the internet.
What should the subnet mask be?
Not applicable

Thank you for the memory jolt.

The subnet mask was the issue.

changed from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0
and everything is happy.

Its been a minute or 3 since i last messed with networks

Expert

Make sure wireless "AP  isolation" is OFF so that your wireless devices can talk directly to the wired devices & network drives.

Proven Sharer

Here in the Ohio area the TWC network sets the mask in my router to 255.255.240

Proven Sharer

If you want the server to talk through the router to the internet, then all three devices (modem, router, & server) MUST be on the same subnet, which is 192.168.0.dev, where dev is a number between 11 and 255.  You then set the router to provide DHCP starting at 100.  the last octet for any device you program with a static IP address must be between 11 and 99.  If your server doesn't like the zero, it is programmed incorrectly.  192.168.0.99 is where the server has to be.