Rookie

new cable modem. need to change settings with old router?

Greetings,

I am swapping old DSL router since I have new service with Spectrum internet.

I have new cable modem. I want to keep existing Linksys "n" router if possible.

If cable modem is just internet connection, can I plan to just hook up to existing wifi router and all is good? Or, should I expect to have to make new settings in existing wifi router?

Thank you for any advice!

6 REPLIES
Helper

Re: new cable modem. need to change settings with old router?

I think at minimum you'll have to reboot the router so it can auto-detect the appropriate settings from the new modem.

Proven Sharer

Expanding on the reply from reds91185, you'll actually need to reset the router.  That's so it can detect the MAC address of the modem.  Then the two devices will automatically reconnect to each other if/when the power blinks.   The exact process should be covered in the Quick-Start guide for your router.

Expert

Router must have WAN side set to auto detect settings...

That may be an old 10/100 modem , don't expect anything higher than 110 megs...

Newcomer

When I added new modem, I had to call Spectrum for them to reboot everything. btw, the new cable modem probably has a built in router. I believe the 2 routers (1 in modem and 1 external) were slowing down my speed. Phone tech never told me that modem had a router built in. On site tech asked me why I had both and we removed my external router to help with the speed.

Helper

You can avoid the extra monthly wifi fee by having Spectrum put the new modem in bridge mode and turn off the wifi, then connect your own router.

Proven Sharer

But as MsRaye mentioned earlier, your WiFi speed may still be relatively slow.  As an example, my old Linksys WRT54G runs about 45 Mbps on a really good day, and only on 2.4 GHz.  If you are paying for a couple hundred megabits over the cable, upgrade your router so you can have the same speed over WiFi.