Not applicable

moca for home office

Hello,

I recently switched from Verizon to Spectrum.  My home office network was previously set to go through moca which then connects to a router via ethernet.  My computers and peripherals are then connected to the router.  When I swtiched to Spectrum, I'm not able to have an active network any longer via coax.  When I called the help desk, they informed me that Spectrum does not support moca.  Can someone confirm and if they installed something similar.  I'm told there was a difference between Charter Spectrum and TWC Spectrum?  TIA. 

6 REPLIES 6
Proven Sharer

Re: moca for home office

@darnoc23 wrote:

Hello,

I recently switched from Verizon to Spectrum.  My home office network was previously set to go through moca which then connects to a router via ethernet.  My computers and peripherals are then connected to the router.  When I swtiched to Spectrum, I'm not able to have an active network any longer via coax.  When I called the help desk, they informed me that Spectrum does not support moca.  Can someone confirm and if they installed something similar.  I'm told there was a difference between Charter Spectrum and TWC Spectrum?  TIA. 

Is there a reason why TWC did not install their modem+router+WiFi right at your existing router location?   When they activated their new modem+router+WiFi box, did they remember to set it to BRIDGING mode and turn off the WiFi? 

As for there being a difference between Charter and TWC, they used to be competitors in several markets, now they are partnered in this Spectrum deal. 

In my area they started as Shamrock Cable, then Complexicable bought them, they sold it off to Adelphia who went bankrupt.  TWC bought some of the remnants and tried to merge with Comcast.  It's been a wild ride!

Expert

You can buy moca to ethernet adapters, they work fine on dedicated coax that does not have cable signal on it.

If you need to share coax with cable, the splitter and POE filter issue get's complex, Do you have TWC cable tv?

Is there only one coax where the modem is?

Van you run  ethernet to some points or did they all have moca adapters?

Do you also have DirecTv?

The work you need is beyonfd the scope of TWC or DirecTv contractors and if wrong will mess up the network.

If you're unable to tackle it, contact an A?V contractor that does home networking.

Established Sharer

@darnoc23 wrote:

Hello,

==========

As best I can tell, rather than Charter taking the best of what they already had, and combining that with the best of what TWC had, they took the WORST of each and rolled them into Spectrum.

Smiley Sad

Expert

There's presently 6 or seven different"companies-plans" all with different quirks.

Has nothing to do with MOCA provided you do not have a wholehouse DVR or are trying to use active DirecTv coax lines

Not applicable

Not sure why my previous post was removed.  But wanted to add this in for anyone else that may benefit.  So what I found out from TWC is that new Spectrum customers does not have multi room DVR on their offers.  So Moca is turned off and TWC will not support it.  What I ended up doing was purchasing a Powerline TP Link AV2000 and suprisignly hasn't had any degradation issues, getting 100 mbps download.  Hope it helps and thank you to all that responded. 

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

True, Spectrum does not offer a Whole House DVR package. TWC will support existing subscribers with TWC Whole House DVR.