Newcomer

connecting a Cisco Linksis E2500 to an Arris TG1672G

I am wanting to connect a Cisco Linksis E2500 wireless router to my Time Warner now Spectrum Arris TG1672G modem router.  And so far, it's not working...

This is a home setup and the Arris has been online for some time and working fine, both as a wired router for 2 computers and a printer, plus wireless router for mobile devices and streaming to a TV at times.  (not all in use at same time)

Recently setup a 'Ring Doorbell Pro' and 'Stick-up Camera' which connect via the Arris and the 2.4g wifi.  And trouble shooting with Ring Support brought question to the 2.4 signal.  They suggested testing with a separate wireless router (which had the E2500 from before the new Arris arrived).

So wanted to see if, could daisy-chain (per say) the Cisco router off the Arris modem/router, leaving the Arris fully setup, as router and with it's wireless.  So that I could setup the Cisco with it's own WiFi line to connect  to and test, without dropping the Arris wifi connections.
...this is not working.

First, can not get the Cisco E2500 to acquire and pass thru the internet in general, so thus have no internet on the 'laptop' when connected to the Cisco.  The 'desktop' that is cabled to the Arris has 185-195 of good download signal.
Second, I have good signal via the 2.4g and 5g wireless on the Arris, when tested from my SmartPhone, and can get to the Internet fine.  I have good signal on my phone from the Cisco 2.4 and 5 also, but no Internet.

Third, just spent 112 minutes  (yea almost 2 full hours) on the phone with the TW/Spectrum Tech in whatever Country he was in, screwing around with settings, factory restarts of the Arris, and resetting up what he cleared and lost in my setup...  with no success.

The tech configured the Arris in 'bridge mode' and as such, lost my direct PC router connections and lost my WiFi setup, from the Arris.  Both things I stated clearly did NOT want to disable.  So much for listening.
In the process did a 'factory reset' twice to get the 'bridge mode' enabled and even then, the Cisco did not see to get the internet signal, to pass thru to the laptop that was cabled to it directly.

To picture my setup for this...
--  Arris modem/router  -  directly connected is a home desktop PC and printer
--    cabled to the Arris is the Cisco router,  with a laptop cabled to the Cisco
  ...thus...  wall to Arris, Arris to Cisco, Cisco to laptop,  all via cable for now

So....
A-  is it possible to add the Cisco as an "add on" router without disabling the router feature in the Arris ?
B- anyone else found the wifi via a Cisco home router to be that much better than the Arris 1762G to say it is worth more effort or not ?
C- anyone else using the Ring Doorbell systems 'stick up camera' with the TW/Spectrum router from about 35 feet away and having problems, finding it to be the TW/S side not the Ring product line ?

...I really do want to go to Katmandu so I can get away from it all (Bob Seger song) but fear they now have cell coverage - bummer !

Frolin

San Antonio, Texas

7 REPLIES 7
Expert

Re: connecting a Cisco Linksis E2500 to an Arris TG1672G

You should not be calling twc/spectrum support as this has nothing to do with the leased router/modem emta combo

You simply lock both routerson widely different channels and put the second one into bridged mode making it a transparent access point only, it must have a different ssid as well

Established Sharer

A-  is it possible to add the Cisco as an "add on" router without disabling the router feature in the Arris ?

Yes, it's possible, but having a "child router" off of a "parent router" is tricky and thus not recommended.  What I would recommend is to set up the Cisco as an "Access Point" instead of a router if you want to continue to use the Arris as your router.  You will connect the Cisco to the Arris via one of the wired LAN ports, use a different SSID for the Cisco, and then pick a location and wireless channel lineup for minimal interference with the Arris.  It's actually much easier to put the Arris in bridge mode and use the Cisco as your only router, which might explain why the Spectrum rep did it that way (it might be the only way he knows).

B- anyone else found the wifi via a Cisco home router to be that much better than the Arris 1762G to say it is worth more effort or not ?

Oh, yes, my parents have an Arris TG1672G, and the wireless functions on it are poor.  Both the 2.4G and 5G sections refuse to give out an IP address about once a month, requiring a reboot of the router, and the 5G range is pitiful (good for about 20 feet).  Almost any wireless router you purchase will do a better job than the TG1672G, many will do a much better job.

C- anyone else using the Ring Doorbell systems 'stick up camera' with the TW/Spectrum router from about 35 feet away and having problems, finding it to be the TW/S side not the Ring product line ?

Sorry, I'm not using one of those devices, so I can't comment.

Proven Sharer

@RickEpresented a "child router"configuration with two independent wireless sources that in reality would not work. Don't go in that direction.

When theTWC  home service tech configured the RENTED Arris in bridging mode with WiFi OFF to function purely as a modem, he did precisely what he should have done.  You simply failed to move the printer and laptop ethernet connections over to your new Linksys router.  Your box is now going to perform all router functions and WiFi on YOUR network.  And you are responsible for all programming needed to add your 3rd party doorbell camera, NOT TWC.

Established Sharer

I'm surprised, Karl, I thought you were well-versed with networking technology.  Using a second router configured as an access point most certainly does work, that's what I'm doing right now to provide wireless coverage throughout my house.  The Linksys wireless router is in the basement, it serves wireless to the basement and the back half of the first floor, the TP-Link wireless router (configured as an access point) is on the second floor, it serves the second floor and the front half of the first floor.  And of course I have several cables running through the house, because wired beats wireless all the time.  I also have 3 switches (not counting the switches integrated with the routers), properly cascaded, and they all work, too.

Proven Sharer

I'm familiar enough with the plusses and minuses of running multiple access point networks, such as a combined multi-story commercial office and industrial warehouse facility with multiple 48-port switches feeding about 130 separate dual-band managed APs.  But I digress ... from your reply to the original posting

Yes, it's possible, but having a "child router" off of a "parent router" is tricky and thus not recommended

It sure looks to me like you agreed that the 'child router' approach is unwise.  The original poster simply failed to move his two wired device connections to the active router.  His first stated problem had nothing at all to do with WiFi, except that a tech support didn't like the coverage available from the TWC leased gateway to the doorbell video camera.  He took responsibility for that when he bought and connected his own WiFi router. 

In your case there's no need to use a separate SSID and password for each access point, that makes it MUCH harder for mobile devices, such as your cell phones or laptops which move around the home, to stay connected. 

Browser

Yes, it doable to link another router on the LAN of another router.  Make sure you have puchased a good quality wifi router some of the older routers had only a thruput of 45mbs from the LAN to the WAN (internet side).  Connect the WAN port of the cisco router to one of the LAN ports of the Arris modem router with perferably cat6 cable patch.  Once all units boot up open up your browser and type http://192.168.100.1:8080 in the address bar.
Enter admin as (user name), and password for (password), all lower case.  click the above tabs that says (LAN setup). A page will come up that says LAN Settings, Look to the upper left corner and there will be a menu with a tab that has client list, click this. Another page will
come up as client list. The page will have two rows one (Attached Client List) the second (Reserved IP Client List). If your new Cisco router has DHCP setup by default you will see
the Cisco in attached client list. Now click add tab in the (Reserved IP Client List) and enter the (Name of your new Router) the IP address can be the same address that was shown in the (Attached Client List). The (Mac Address) is the most important this address has to be the same as shown  in the (Attached  Client List). if unsure of the mac  address look on the bottom of your new router and look for a label, this label will have the model #, Serial #, and
a (WAN) Mac address.  If you reserve address the important decives like wifi printers, servers, other routers you will not have time outs and lease time limits on your connected devices. I wished i could have inserted photos to better discribe this process,  but this forum will allow photos to be uploaded from the computer.

kevsh
Browser

TWC will aslo start charging you a extra $4.95 fee if you activate wifi and router from the bridged mode . This  is onlyif you are leasing a wifi router from TWC or if you are leasing a modem from spectrum that has wifi capabilities and you are using those wifi capabilities.

kevsh