Highlighted
Rookie

WiFi seems faster than my ethernet

Hi there, it seems that the one computer I have wired up directly to the modem via Cat-6 cable is having a lot of issues lately accessing web sites, e.g. I need to refresh the web site several times before it all loads. My WiFi internet access does not seem to be affected.

Could I get suggestions and/or steps to follow to see what the issue could be and what I should do about it?

The router is a ubee DDW36C. I'm not sure if it was supplied by Spectrum or not. My computer is running Windows 7 Professional and was last updated about 2 weeks ago.

I will try to reply as quickly as possible to questions, thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
Proven Sharer

Re: WiFi seems faster than my ethernet

Perform two runs of Ookla Speedtest on the affected computer, using only the

Ookla site link provided by Spectrum.  First set up the computer using the WiFi connection.  Then reset the computer and modem to factory default settings and run the test again using the direct wired ethernet connection.  Post both sets of numbers back to this group and we'll try to answer your questions and optimize your network performance.

Community Manager

The router is a ubee DDW36C. I'm not sure if it was supplied by Spectrum or not. My computer is running Windows 7 Professional and was last updated about 2 weeks ago.

@harryjrtwc , 

You mentioned Windows 7 Professional.   Is this a work computer?  If so, please check the IP4 Properties.  It might be configured for an office network.  Under General, try checking the radio dials that read "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically". 

IPV4 Config.png

Rookie

James it is a home computer, but I will try to follow the steps you outlined to see if it helps.

Rookie

I have not done the comparison speed tests as you have suggested yet. For one thing, the computer in question does not have WiFi, only a network card.

I did run the speed test on the computer as is. At first, it had trouble connecting to the speed test at all. When I refreshed the page once or twice, it did successfully connect and showed 50Mbits download and 5Mbits upload speed.

I will try doing a factor reset on the router as you suggest to see if it helps.

Helper

Do you know if the network card is a 10/100 or a 10/100/1000?

Also, what internet package do you have?

Rookie

After I reset the router to factory settings and released/renewed the WAN lease, the connection seems to work fine. If I have further issues I will try to diagnose with the steps everyone listed here. Thank you.