Browser

What Cable Do I Need

I have the Timewarner Ultimate 100 Internet in Austin, Tx.  I'm having issues with my HP Envy 4520 printer.  I've read a few posts in the forum and it looks like HP printers tend to have connectivity issues and I need to use an ethernet cable to connect it to my router.  I have the Timewarner issued Ubee Router DDW36C and the HP Envy 4520 as mentioned.  What kind of cable do I need?  Cat 5, Cat 6, type of connectors??  Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES
Highlighted
Participant

Re: What Cable Do I Need

I don’t actually own this printer, but a quick google online seems to show it being wireless or wired with a USB cable. No Ethernet connection.  If that is true and you wish to use it as a network printer it will have to be wireless. You could connect it directly to your computer with a USB cable, but that will only support one computer printing to the printer. 

If there actually is an Ethernet jack on the printer any good cat 5 or cat 6 cable will work. The plugs on an Ethernet cable are called RJ45, but you won’t need to know that, unless you are making your own cable, since Ethernet only uses one type of plug. 

Browser

Thanks, I must have read some bad information.  I guess I need to look for a printer that is ethernet ready cause I'm tired of having to unplug and plug in the printer to print something.

Proven Sharer

Use an ethernet cable to connect your printer to your LAN.  They normally come with RJ45 adapters on each end.

Then set up the IP address for your printer manually.  You want to give it an IP address on your LAN that is OUTSIDE the DHCP range that your router automatically hands out to devices on your LAN.  This is so that:  1) Your printer is ALWAYS at the same IP address, adn 2)  Lease times have no impact on your ability to connect to it (from the Printer's POV).

For example, if you have your router set up to give out IP Addresses 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199, then manually, on the printer, assign it an IP address of 192.168.1.250.  (This assumes your LAN is set up as 192.168.1.0/24, with the router being at 192.168.1.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

Helper

Some routers have a USB connection for network printers or drives, but the Ubee you have does not.

Browser

That's just great   :-(