Highlighted
Participant

Ubee Gateway - 2.4 GHz wifi channel availability. Ch. 8 - 11 missing

Hi -

has there been a firmware update recently.

I opened up the web page to this device

on the wireless tab  (http://192.168.0.1/wlanRadio.asp) and I see the range

of available channels has been shrunk from  1 - 11 to 1 - 7.

Why have these channels been limited ?

11 REPLIES 11
Expert

Re: Ubee Gateway - 2.4 GHz wifi channel availability. Ch. 8 - 11 missing

It's defective, return it

Participant

This is the gateway supplied by TWC which I've had since April and has been working fine.

I usually check the channel in use about once a week, and using the "site survey" results attempted to change it to ch 11, when the only possibilities were 1 - 7.

Are you suggesting I call TWC and ask them to swap it out ?

Edit: I looked at it just now and it's actually using ch 11.  But the area to manually change

the channel is still restricted to 1 - 7.   I tried a  different browser so it's not Firefox's fault.

I have unplugged the device for a minute or two but it has not affected the problem

This is why I was wondering if there had been a (bad) FW update

Proven Sharer

Might I also suggest you just leave your WiFi on the same channel all the time.  If you keep moving yours, all your neighbors have to do the same just to keep you from causing interference to their WiFi networks. 

Participant

My neighbors are constantly changing their channels ahead of me,

that's for sure.  I only do it when I see a noticable drop off in performance.

Besides, that's not related to my actual problem.

Proven Sharer

It is VERY MUCH related to your connection problem, it makes it completely moot, since you won't need to play channel lotto any more.  There are only three non-overlapping channels on 2.4 GHz - 1, 6, and 11.  Pass along the hint to your neighbors.  Note that normal consumer routers with WiFi do not scan, just the ones you lease from TWC. 

Participant

I'm aware of the overlapping channels, and would like the option to change it to ch 11

as I see fit. 

What do you mean by this:

"Note that normal consumer routers with WiFi do not scan, just the ones you lease from TWC. "

Proven Sharer

Precisely what i said:  Normal routers with WiFi that you buy from your favorite electronics superstore don't scan or channel-hop.  You select a single WiFi channel per band as part of the setup process. 

Participant

OK (  understand.  But the last time I had such a router I occasionally used to switch the channels

as I saw the situation in the "site survey" change.

Whether it chnages automatically, or only manually is besides the point.

I used to have the full range of channels (1 -11)  available to me and now I don't.

What happened?

Proven Sharer

Go back to the very first response to your posting.  MsRaye advised the Ubee gateway was defective and should be returned.  Since you didn't say otherwise, we're thinking you are renting it from TWC, so they owe you a replacement.