Rookie

Ubee DVW32CB Gateway- How do I create a guest wireless network?

Folks, I need to create a guest wireless network where people can use the interent, but don't have access to devices on the network.

I cannot figure out how to do this even after looking though the manual.

20 REPLIES 20
Expert

Re: Ubee DVW32CB Gateway- How do I create a guest wireless network?

Don't...

It is a major security risk to your twc service since it has your public IP.

The options for multiple dhcp groups and SSId's may also be grayed out.

You can always add another router with wireless and if it's wunning DDWRT should be able to create an isolated guest group with short DHCP time and no admin or access to wired devices (AP isolation on).

However it's still on your public IP

TWC tried it with early advanced gateways and had to install a second modem dedicated to the WIFI hotspot which ends up being a discrete access point like a Ruckus wired to a 8x4 docsis 3 modem with a seperate public IP than the customers system.

Rookie

Yeah, I have an Apple Airport Extreme (2015 wireless AC version) in bridge mode connected to the TWC gateway, but for some crazy reason, Apple made it such that the guest network feature it offers does not work unless it (the Apple router) is the DHCP server also.

So I guess I'll have to figure out how to get the Ubee to let the Apple be the router.

Expert

That is what you're supposed to do. Use a bridged device or modem and do the DHCP and multiple account types in your routers.

But, it still will have your public IP on it and depending on what the "guests" do, can screw up your access, even get it shut down for illegal activity

Same with leaving WPS on, it's hackable in an hour or less

A seperate NAT router on a different channel helps.

Rookie

So i need to put it in bridge mode.  Any ideas how to do that?  It has bridging, but that's for wirless only it seems.  

Expert

Negative, Put the ubee into bridge, turn off it's int wireless and put your airport in NAT routing mode and set up it's wireless.

You may need to call twc to bridge the Ubee

Helper

As a side not, DHCP is required because its an unkown device connecting,and the router hands it a so called lease.
Rookie

Yeah, I did call TWC and the helped me get to the screen where you ca put it in bridge mode.  I put my Apple router in DCHP and NAT mode, problem is, it wasn't receiving any info from the Ubee TWC.  The Apple router was reporting that it wasn't getting anything  - no internet connection.

So once the Ubee is in bridge mode, is setting up the Apple (or any other) a fully manual setup, or should it at least be getting some numbers of some sort from the Ubee router?

I thought it would at least get the DNS, but not even that field was populated.  So the issue why this all didn't work was that my router wasn't receiving anything form the Ubee.  I tried manually entering the information (used from a screenshot I took of the Ubee settings) and that didn't work either.

So I put the Ubee back in it's old state of being the DHCP and NAT services.

Expert

Did you tell the router to "autodetect WAN settings"?

Newcomer

According to the Ubee literature, the DVW32CB is capable of:

Router
"Enhanced Wireless

Dual-band concurrent 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios, with multiple SSIDs per radio offer considerable flexibility for connection to a variety of home and mobile devices."

So, does anyone know how to set up one of these multiple SSIDs (I think I read somewhere that there are 8 per radio) and configure as a Guest or some other account?