Observer

UBEE modem suddenly blocking UPnP broadcasts

This problem defies all reason and logic. 

I used WeMo and Hue devices.  I do a lot of experimenting with the internet of things.  Recenly I discovered that I could no longer add new devices to Amazon Echo.  This is done by a UPnP scan of the network on port 1900.  I was sure it was a software issue and reload or rebuilt my clients.  No luck.  I set the server at verbose logging.  Clearly it was not receiving the broadcast.  I looked in the Ubee modem log.  Clearly the broadcasts were sent. 

Okay its the DVW32CB modem. 

I tried turning on and off UPnP in advanced option.  I unchecked  Port scan in Firewall settings.  I turned off and on the firewall.  Nothing helps except one thing.  If I unplug the modem and plug it back in and wait for it to come back up,  I have a 30 or 40 second window where UPnP gets through. 

This started happening within the last month.  Am I missing somthing in settings?  I there now some added security that is not user accessable that takes 30 or 40 seconds to come up?

I hate to call Spectrum Tech support. I don't want to spend 45 min. on the phone explaining what UPnP is only to be told to plug and unplug my modem! 

Other than pulling my old linksys router out of the 'parts' closet and using that for my network, does anyone have an idea of a fix or a way to talk to a tech support person who would know what took place in the last month?

Frustrating.  I can work in the 30 - 40 second window but it will knock my wife off the internt.

Bill 

6 REPLIES 6
Expert

Re: UBEE modem suddenly blocking UPnP broadcasts

No one should  be  surprised and it's why no one recomends all in ones. You are at the whim of the cable co.

Put it in bridged mode and buy a real router.

TWC/ Spectrum will not support any advanced options on any "advanced" gateways

Observer

That's the direction that I am headed, at least to test. I am not sure it will help, however. If the UPnP blocking is not happening inside the modem but is being done elsewhere in the Spectrum network then using my own router will not make any difference.

Odd that it changed.
Expert

uPnP is a router function and as far as I know, not a modem function. Since that's a combo and owned by TWC, it's hard to troubleshoot. We've seen complaints of greyed out options and others that won't take or become permanent if the modem is reset as that usually loads the router to TWC defaults.

You may have a corrupted one or corrupted i yourself, get a technicolr from TWC

Observer

Any suggestions for a good one?

Proven Sharer

I think the only Technicolor combo they are supposed to be leasing right now is the TC8717.  Therefore once you tell them "I want a new Technicolor in a factory-sealed box" it becomes freedom from choice.

But also be aware that, according to TWC moderators, TWC won't let you adjust port forwarding settings  in any modem leased from TWC.  As soon as the CMTS see you make a change the modem gets a refresh back to the mandatory settings.

Rookie

Lose it ! Huge security problem. See Steve Gibson's security website grc.com for free online tests and info/ tutorials....