Newcomer

Tivo Bolt with MoCA and connecting two Tivo Minis - HELP

Hello - I'm new to the board and a new Spectrum subscriber (switched from DirecTV). I recently had a Spectrum Tech install my modem, router and cable card. It's been almost a week and I've finally got the channels up an running via the TA but I'm having no luck (and no sleep) connecting the Bolt and Tivo Minis via MoCA.  Here's the equipment and setup:
Spectrum modem: Hitron eMTA E31N2V1 DOCSIS 3.1
Spectrum router: Askey Router
Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter (x2)
1x Tivo Bolt 1TB
2x Tivo Minis
I'm in LA, zip code = 90019
Tivo Account - yes, I double checked and the brand new Tivo Bolt and 2 Tivo minis have been activated under my wife's account.
Cable card - paired
TA - authorized and I'm getting the solid yellow (amber) light
POE filter outside (installed by the Tech in the proper place on 3-way splitter)
Coax from wall to an inside apartment 2-way splitter
From 2-way splitter - One coax to Actiontec MoCA Adapter 
From 2-way splitter - One coax to Hitron modem (I placed another POE filter on the modem as I wasn't receiving any signal without it.)

At my TV/Tivo Bolt - setup a 2-way splitter
From 2-way splitter - One coax to Tuning Adapter (TA is connected to Tivo Bolt with USB)
From 2-way splitter - One coax to Tivo BoltMy Bolt is in the living room along with my

Since the Tivo Bolt and the modem and router are not next to each other (opposite ends of the living room), as a test, I've used a very long ethernet cable (it's hovering above the floor so not ideal) and had success connecting via MoCA + Ethernet. It's when I use the Tivo Bolt as a Client and try to set up on an Existing MoCA network is when I have trouble. The Tivo Bolt error I receive is that it can't find the router. I've double and triple checked connections.

From reading the many threads on various forums I understand Spectrum does not support MoCA. Am I just out of luck? Is there something I'm missing? Can I enable MoCA on the router or modem (from my research it doesn't appear to be an option on the Router interface online and on the modem, there is no way to get inside to take a look? If I bought a router and modem to replace these Spectrum provided models would I have the potential to make adjustments that I can't with Spectrum modem and router?

I've had no sleep and looking for any help you can please provide. Even if it's a "you're out of luck."
Many thanks,
AE
5 REPLIES 5
Established Sharer

Re: Tivo Bolt with MoCA and connecting two Tivo Minis - HELP

I must be missing something here. I don't understand why you are setting up a MoCA network to connect the Bolt and the 2 Minis. I don't have any Tivo devices, but the Tivo web pages say that you can use either MoCA or Ethernet to make the network connection between the Tivo devices, and I would think that Ethernet would be the easier way to go.

From a physical connection perspective, I'm thinking along these lines:

Incoming cable -> 2-way splitter ----> Output 1: Spectrum Hiltron Cable Modem
                                                                            ----> Output 2: Tivo Bolt (or Tuning Adapter, if needed, I'm not sure why you need the Tuning Adapter, either)

Then the Hiltron Cable Modem connects to your Askey router via Ethernet, and the router provides some number of Ethernet ports (probably four). Assuming that you have 1 computer that you are attaching via an Ethernet cable (everything else wireless), that would leave 3 Ethernet ports on the router, which will be just enough to connect the Tivo Bolt and the two Tivo Minis. If you need more Ethernet ports for wired devices, one of the 4 ports on the Askey router will connect to an Ethernet switch (a 4-port switch will be OK if you need 6 Ethernet ports for wired devices, an 8-port switch would net you 10 Ethernet ports for wired devices, etc). Could you do it this way and avoid MoCA altogether?

Helper

With the Bolt you don't need separate MoCA adapters as the Bolt already has that functionality built-in.  If you don't want to go full ethernet and instead use MoCA, this is how mine used to be setup before I switched to using an old router as an access point instead. The TA is required for any SDV channels.

Incoming coax---> ground block---> POE filter---> 2 way splitter:

* Split 1---> modem---> router ---> ethernet to Bolt

* Split 2---> 2 way splitter:

** Split 1---> Bolt

** Split 2---> Tuning Adapter---> USB to Bolt

From the Bolt menu: Network Settings, Change Network Settings, MoCA On. Select to set up the Bolt as a Bridge to create the MoCA network.

As long as the coax connected to the Minis is on the same loop as the Bolt they will then connect to the Bolt.

Abb
Not applicable

My Truning Adapter does not like MoCA.  Inserted a POE Filter to "shield" the adapter...

Incoming coax---> ground block---> POE filter---> 2 way splitter:

* Split 1---> modem---> router ---> ethernet to Bolt

* Split 2---> 2 way splitter:

** Split 1---> Bolt

** Split 2---> POE filter---> Tuning Adapter---> USB to Bolt

Since doing this, no problems with 4 mini's and long coax runs.

Helper

I've never heard of anyone using another POE filter just before the tuner adapter. Which TA do you have? The Motorola or the Cisco model? I have the Moto and never had any of the problems that seem to plague the Cisco.

Abb
Not applicable

It's a Cisco STA1520.
Read that TA's attenuate MoCA (that's why you need 2nd splitter). Swapped TA's and still had problem. Added 2nd Filter and been working perfectly for more that 6 months.