Highlighted
Not applicable

TC8717Tbridge mode to use my own router - can't get it working

I have been having trouble with speed and dropping signals and would like to try using my own router instead.  My modem is the all-in-one TC8717T.  I am going to use a Linksys WRT3200ACM router.

Here is what I have done :

- login to the TC8717T

- disabled the 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi so they don't broadcast.

- disabled the DHCP for IPv4, Stateful DHCPv6 for IPv6, and Stateless DHCPv6 for IPv6

- finally enabled bridge mode

When I enable bridge mode it shows a warning message that the router will be reset and its functionality will be disabled.

Soon as I enable bridge mode I no longer get any IP/Internet on the LinkSys Router.  I am also no longer able to login to the TC8717T unless I reset it to default to erase these changes.  Rebooting of the TC8717T, LinkSys, and both changes nothing.

Am I missing something here?  I did read some other posts about cloning a MAC address in my router because the TC8717T has the MAC address of the first device connected to it in memory and that is required for it to function when it bridge mode.  If that is the case, how do I find out which device that is so I can get its MAC address and do that?

On a side note, I just started fresh again and this time the only thing I disabled was the 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi.  The DHCP settings are enabled and bridge mode is disabled like it would be by default.  With these setting my LinkSys does work... the TC8717T is accessed at 192.168.0.1 and the LinkSys at 192.168.1.1.  Works fine, speed tests show fine, etc... but this isn't how it should really be setup.

Any help would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Proven Sharer

Re: TC8717Tbridge mode to use my own router - can't get it working

You should not clone the MAC address of your previous router; instead you reset your new router to its factory defaults.  When you start up the new hardware for the first time, you power up the Technicolor TC8717T and let it stabilize, next you power up your new Linksys WRT3200ACM router.  The router will receive its network setup information from the modem on the first power-up and then will be refreshed every time you power cycle the router. 

Helper

As a side note, if you are on standard Spectrum internet there is a separate wifi fee and you should also call in and have them remove wifi from your account so you aren't charged. If you are on Ultra or Gig there is no separate wifi fee.

Contributor

ScubaPongo wrote:

Here is what I have done :

- login to the TC8717T

- disabled the 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi so they don't broadcast.

- disabled the DHCP for IPv4, Stateful DHCPv6 for IPv6, and Stateless DHCPv6 for IPv6

- finally enabled bridge mode

How do your finally enable bridge mode in the TC8717t modem/router? I cannot  find a setting to do this. I also read elsewhere that I could simply call Spectrum and ask them to set the gateway into bridge mode. Is that possible? TIA

NEVERMIND  I found the bridge mode setting in :

Gateway > Connection > Local IP Configuration

Also you might want to disable both the IPv4 and IPv6 Firewalls so you don't run into a Double NAT problem, as the other router will also probably have a firewall.

Not applicable

Resetting my LinkSys after the TC8717 was setup how I wanted did the trick. For whatever reason the setup it goes through did something and it worked.

With that said, on the TC8717T I can still access its settings at 192.168.0.1 and all 4 of its ethernet ports are still active. I thought when you enabled bridge mode only port 1 was functional (the one going to my router) and if I wanted to access settings I’d have to directly connect with that port. Some of the other posts I’ve seen mentioned this. All seems to be working fine though.

As for the discount I don’t believe it applies to me as it was bundle promotional pricing, but using my own router is a huge positive difference.
Helper

Even if all 4 ethernet outputs work while in bridge mode, I would caution you to only use one to go to your router and connect all devices to it and not the modem. You may experience drops on various devices and funky behavior otherwise.