Spectator

Suggestions for WiFi range extender?

Hi there, new TWC internet customer. I'd like the community's help on home networking setup that will allow for fast download speeds throughout my townhome.

I have the 100 Mbps tier, with the following equipment:

• Arris SB6183 cable modem (purchased on my own)
  • Apple Airport Extreme router
  • Netgear EX2700 WiFi range extender

The modem and router are on living room level on a short bookshelf next to our TV. The WiFi extender is plugged into the wall ~12 ft from the router and right next to the staircase going down to our office (and garage) - which are partially below ground, if that counts for anything.

In the downstairs office, per Ookla speed test, my laptop gets an average of just 2-5 Mbps down when connected to Apple router, and average 3-6 Mbps when connected to the WiFi extender.

When my laptop is connected by ethernet cable to the WiFi extender, it gets average 15-20 Mbps, so there is definitely latency going down the stairs and into the office. When my laptop is connected by ethernet cable directly to the Arris modem, it gets 100+ Mbps. I need to double check download speed when connecting by cable to the Apple router, though wireless speeds from the router average 30-50 Mbps.

Aside from moving my modem and router (which isn't an option for me), I WANT MUCH FASTER SPEED TO MY DOWNSTAIRS OFFICE. 

• Can you recommend other wall plug-in WiFi extenders with faster throughput and better range? This Netgear EX2700 is spec'd up to 300 Mbps, though apparently not in the real world.
  • I do have many devices connected wirelessly to the Apple router - Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku stick, 2 iPads, 2 smartphones, 2 laptops - so I assume 30-50 Mbps even though other devices are not streaming or active is normal, even when nothing else is "running" other than one of my laptops. Am I assuming correctly?

I appreciate your help & suggestions!

8 REPLIES 8
Expert

Re: Suggestions for WiFi range extender?

run a cat 5e or cat 6 cable.

extenders cut speed in half if on the same band... crossband ones only reduce speeds slightly.

where is the airport located?

Spectrum Employee

If you have cable downstairs, I highly recommend going the MoCA bridge route. Use your existing coax and get a pair of MoCA bridges from Amazon. Its about $120 for the pair at this moment. 

I use three at home and its great. And also in some cases if you don't have an existing cable connection, it might be cheaper to to pay for an additional outlet vs running ethernet.

I am a TWC employee and my postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s strategies or opinions.
I am posting of my own volition; not on the clock nor being paid to share this post

Expert

You cannot use moca devices if you have a wholehouse dvr as it uses moca

Also a POE (point of entry) moca filter must be installed between the grounding block and the first splitter. In many cases, the first splitter is the grounding block making that impossible/

You cannot use Moca on direcTv or Dish cables

I'd suggest a powerline type ethernet extender for the device that's out of range. if you can't have an ethernet cable run

Spectator

: Running a cable from the far wall of the living room, down the stairs and into the office is not desirable. I will look into the powerline extender, thanks.

FunkDoobiest: I do not have cable downstairs. I actually have DirecTV to a single TV, which is next to my modem & router.

Spectrum Employee

@MsRaye wrote:

You cannot use moca devices if you have a wholehouse dvr as it uses moca

Also a POE (point of entry) moca filter must be installed between the grounding block and the first splitter. In many cases, the first splitter is the grounding block making that impossible/

You cannot use Moca on direcTv or Dish cables

I'd suggest a powerline type ethernet extender for the device that's out of range. if you can't have an ethernet cable run

I got WH enabled to test this specific theory and I can happily report that MoCA bridges work fine in conjuction with whole house. The box diags also pick up the MoCA devices and reports their frequency and connected speeds. They all seem to play along nicely with no further configuration on my end. If it was there still a concern, you can manually configure the Actiontecs to operate at 1500Mhz.

My Current Configuration:

1x Ehanced DVR -Arris 3600-M

1x HD STB Arris 3200-M

3x Actiontec ECB2500C  

All playing together at 1200mhz 

I am a TWC employee and my postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s strategies or opinions.
I am posting of my own volition; not on the clock nor being paid to share this post

Expert

you can't do moca on directv coax...

someone ran both directv and twc throughout the house, run a cat5 e along with them

Not applicable

Having the same issue  with wifi, tried extenders, power line etc. and none of these work satisfactorily. It would be difficult to run a cat 5e cable which is almost 75' away but it's possible. I already have cable tv to the furthest location  feet and would like to know if going the moca bridge route would work for me. It would mostly be used for wireless iPads, laptops etc. I am using the Standard Arris router issued from TWC with two rooms hard wired . No satellite TV.  Any suggestions?

Proven Sharer

@jcla1010 wrote:

Hi there, new TWC internet customer. I'd like the community's help on home networking setup that will allow for fast download speeds throughout my townhome.

I have the 100 Mbps tier, with the following equipment:

• Arris SB6183 cable modem (purchased on my own)
  • Apple Airport Extreme router
  • Netgear EX2700 WiFi range extender

The modem and router are on living room level on a short bookshelf next to our TV. The WiFi extender is plugged into the wall ~12 ft from the router and right next to the staircase going down to our office (and garage) - which are partially below ground, if that counts for anything.

In the downstairs office, per Ookla speed test, my laptop gets an average of just 2-5 Mbps down when connected to Apple router, and average 3-6 Mbps when connected to the WiFi extender.

When my laptop is connected by ethernet cable to the WiFi extender, it gets average 15-20 Mbps, so there is definitely latency going down the stairs and into the office. When my laptop is connected by ethernet cable directly to the Arris modem, it gets 100+ Mbps. I need to double check download speed when connecting by cable to the Apple router, though wireless speeds from the router average 30-50 Mbps.

Aside from moving my modem and router (which isn't an option for me), I WANT MUCH FASTER SPEED TO MY DOWNSTAIRS OFFICE. 

• Can you recommend other wall plug-in WiFi extenders with faster throughput and better range? This Netgear EX2700 is spec'd up to 300 Mbps, though apparently not in the real world.
  • I do have many devices connected wirelessly to the Apple router - Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku stick, 2 iPads, 2 smartphones, 2 laptops - so I assume 30-50 Mbps even though other devices are not streaming or active is normal, even when nothing else is "running" other than one of my laptops. Am I assuming correctly?

I appreciate your help & suggestions!

First, you don't have latency going downstairs, you have the inherent speed limitations of WiFi itself, plus interference between multiple WiFi access points.  Latency is signal delay from one point on the network to another (think 'Ping times') caused mostly by electronic packet processing delays.

Second, use only the TWC Speedtest site for your speed measurements.  All other Ookla sites are outside the TWC network and will suffer from significant extra delays, even though one of them might be around the  corner from your home-office.

If you only have a 100 Mbps residential internet connection, a WiFi extender labeled EX2700 or an Apple router labeled AC1700 isn't EVER going to increase your speed above that 100 Mbps connection speed in any part of your house or office.   The extender automatically costs you 50% overhead.  So you really start with 50 Mbps.  If you then subtract out your estimated 30 to 50 Mbps "user load" for the 6 non-video devices in your home and office you've only got 0  to 20 Mbps total left.  The Apple, Chromecast, and Roku boxes will use about 15 Mbps each when streaming HD video.  If more than one is in use, that takes the net for the office down to a big fat zero.

CONCLUSION:

How many HD displays can your household watch and comprehend at one time?  You need to restrict the total number of devices simultaneously connected if you want higher data speed in your office for business operations.